Take the 2-minute tour ×
Russian Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Russian language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would you translate privacy into Russian?

May I have some privacy?

I care about my privacy.

share|improve this question
уединение, частная жизнь, конфиденциальность lingvopro.abbyyonline.com/ru/Translate/en-ru/privacy –  Roman Yankovsky Jun 15 '12 at 21:07
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 12 down vote accepted

I think we have a case of a concept not really present in the Russian linguistic world image. One can speculate if the privacy has not really been valued until recently, but that's beyond the point.

• Конфиденциальность can be used in more formal cases, like in the terms of use of a website, for example. It refers to the information collected about a person (think Facebook).
  • Частная жизнь (as in неприкосновенность частной жизни) is again a law-term, usually referring to the actual physical privacy.
  • For colloquial usage, what @Dima suggests is probably the best solution.
share|improve this answer
add comment

AFIK, there is no good translation. Lately, I have been encountering the word приватность, but I don't think it is standard.

If you have to translate it, you have to reword it taking the context into account. For example, you might translate Can you give us some privacy? as Не могли бы вы оставить нас одних? Or you might translate I value my privacy. as Я не люблю когда лезут в мои дела.

add comment

I would guess:

• конфиденциальность
  • частная жизнь
  • неприкосновенность частной жизни
  • секретность
  • уединенность, уединение
  • тайна
  • личное дело
  • интимная сторона личной жизни
  • интимная сфера
  • прайвеси
прайвеси is about as awkward as эксклюзивный. :) –  Dima Jun 15 '12 at 21:32
@Dima, that is an Easter egg for you –  1453 Jun 15 '12 at 21:33
And I completely agree with the awkwardness of the word прайвеси... No one in the right mind would use the word :) –  Philip Seyfi Jun 15 '12 at 21:34
When to use what? :) –  Helgi Jun 15 '12 at 21:54
add comment

One of the best matches is word покой, although "оставьте меня в покое" means rather 'leave me alone' than 'can I have some privаcy'. The examples suggested for translation would become:

Не могли бы Вы оставить меня в покое?

Мне небезразличен мой покой.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.