Take the 2-minute tour ×
Russian Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Russian language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Today I've heard on the radio that news presenter pronounced изображён (depicted) like изобра́жен (upd - here is a link, checkout 19:02). This sounds to me definitely wrong. For me pronouncing this word wit stress on the last syllable (which is de-facto standard) is the only form accepted.

My first thought was that this is yet another example of long lasting phenomena in Russian language: words which are constantly spelled without "ё" finally lose phonemes indicated by this letter. One well-known example is Рерих, who was actually Рёрих. Or свёкла which is pronounced by many as свекла́ or even (by few though) свеколь.

Then I've realized that the main reason that изобра́жен hurts my feeling is actually that it sound like another russian word with same root, обезобра́жен (disfigured). Contrary to изображён the only linguistic norm I can recall is to pronounce обезображен with penultimate stressing.

So, my question is: Where should I put stress in both of this words and, if rules are different for them, which of form had actually been original one, i.e can we talk about the loss of ё here or vice versa (or, may be both form coexisted "from the very beginning"). To put it simple (treat this as a subquestion): Does обезображён form ever existed and if it haven't, what are rules regulating such stressing? Why, for example, we say обнажён, изображён, утверждён but обезображен?

share|improve this question

What kind of radio did you listen to, serious or not? Maybe that news presenter just tried to speak as fast as he could and while reading from the paper made a mistake and decided not to correct himself because he considered himself so cool and fast news presenter. See "День радио" movie, it can help you to understand how radio works in Russia. –  КуЪ Jan 16 '13 at 10:58

@КуЪ - I've provided link so any one can check out I have not misheard it ) –  shabunc Jan 16 '13 at 11:34
Very strange, he even makes an accent on this word. Maybe it is a kind of wordplay? Like Kotz is depicted but he looks ugly. –  КуЪ Jan 16 '13 at 11:44

@KyЪ - quite possible. But I think it worth to mention here once again - question is about the origins of stress patterns and their evolution. Even if it was a joke, it was quite a clever joke, since it is using the fact that stressed differ in related words. –  shabunc Jan 16 '13 at 11:50

@shabunc Heh, you definitely heard it right. He even does an emphasis at that word. If it was a joke, it is only understandable for himself. What about stress patterns, I guess stresses tend to be arranged in such way that it is easier to pronounce the word and the sentence. I don't think it's possible to find out more general rules. –  o2genum Jan 16 '13 at 12:35
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 3 down vote accepted

The correct way to pronounce those two words is : изображЁн and обезобрАжен. According to the modern orthoepic norm, this is the only possible variant.

The way we pronounce short participles in Russian depends on their long form. And the long form depends on the future form of the verb this participle was derived from. I'll quote an extract from the prometod.ru site :

Страдательные причастия, образованные от глаголов, инфинитив которых заканчивается суффиксом -и-, подчиняются следующим правилам:

1. если ударение в личных формах простого будущего времени падает на окончание, то ударение в полных формах страдательного причастия падает на суффикс -онн-/-енн-:

• завершИть, завершAт — завершЁнный;
    • покорИть,покорЯт — покорЁнный.
  2. если же ударение в личных формах простого будущего времени падает на основу, то ударение в причастии предшествует суффиксу -енн-:

• увИдишь, увИдят — увИденный;
    • заслУжишь, заслУжат — заслУженный.

OK, then the question remains: why is the stress put in each verb differently, if they both originate from the same root? Why do we say изобразИшь but обезобрАзишь?

I think it happens mostly due to the fact that the word обезобразить was formed from an adjective безобразный, which may have two different stresses depending on the meaning ( i.e. these are actually two homographs, not one word ):

Безобразный

I. БЕЗО́БРАЗНЫЙ -ая, -ое; -зен, -зна, -зно. Лит. Не заключающий в себе образности. Б-ая речь автора. Б-ое мышление. ◁ Безо́бразность, -и; ж.

II. БЕЗОБРА́ЗНЫЙ -ая, -ое; -зен, -зна, -зно. 1. Отталкивающе некрасивый; уродливый. Б-ая ведьма. Б. вид. Б-ое платье. 2. Непристойный, возмутительный. Б. поступок. Б-ое поведение. Б-ая история. 3. Разг. Очень плохой, отвратительный, скверный. Доро́ги просто безобразны! ◁ Безобра́зно, нареч. Расходы б. велики (очень, чрезвычайно). Безобра́зность, -и; ж. * Красота и безобразность Разделены чертой одной (Пушкин).

Большой толковый словарь русского языка. - 1-е изд-е: СПб.: Норинт С. А. Кузнецов. 1998

Probably the stress in the verb originates from the stress in the adjective. That stress was distinguishing two adjectives, and was so meaningful that remained in the verb.

So when we make a derivation of the verb обезобрАзить, it is not like this:

• Образ --> обез-Oбраз-и-ть
    (prefix обез-/обес- means deprive smth./smb. of smth., in this case the verb would have the meaning "deprive of image/personality", or better "make plain" - лишить образа)

but rather like this:

• образ --> без-обрAз-н-ый --> безобрAз-и-ть --> о-безобразить
    (where the meaning of the verb is "make ugly" - сделать безобрAзным, уродливым)

By the way, I haven't found any verbs derived from безОбразный. We may say "лишить образности" instead.

share|improve this answer
add comment

По ссылке — утреннее развлекательное шоу, где ведущие шутят и дурачатся в прямом эфире, чтобы поднять настроение людям, собирающимся на работу. В таких шоу вполне допустимо исказить слово или ударение, сделать его "смешнее", чтобы привлечь внимание слушателей.

Правильно: изображён (ударение всегда на ё), обезобра́жен (всегда на а). Почему так? Даже в словах с одним корнем ударение меняется: изображён, изображена́, изображено́. Я думаю, нет общего правила, по которому можно определить, где должно быть ударение.

Например: зо́лото, боло́то, долото́ - только 1 гласная, а ударение на первый, второй или третий слог.

Прочтите, пожалуйста, вопрос, снова. Если он недостаточно ясен, я его отредактирую. Кроме того, ваш второй абзац непонятно зачем цитирует то, что и так цитируется в вопросе. И я НЕ спрашиваю о том, почему ведущий так сказал. –  shabunc Jan 16 '13 at 15:13

я убрал из ответа свой пересказ аудио по ссылке. –  eugene Jan 16 '13 at 15:55
add comment

Maybe that news presenter just made a slip of the tongue? The two е/ё examples you provided in the second paragraph are quite common mistakes, but изобра́жен is something weird. It's even harder to pronounce. Could you remember what the context was?

yep, easily - человек изображен на фотографии. It nevertheless remains intereseting, whether there ever existed form "обезображён" –  shabunc Jan 16 '13 at 8:51
I heard about some psychedelic recommendations from Russian ministry of culture, such as йогу́рт and кетчу́п, but I'm sure it was just a slip of the tongue. –  o2genum Jan 16 '13 at 8:59

I guess they've tried to sound more french and, thus, to keep cultural tights with russian XIXth century aristocracy ))) –  shabunc Jan 16 '13 at 9:01
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.