I'm a web designer. Right now, I'm working for a Russian client and I have to tell him that I'm going to be working on the layout of his site. The translator gives lots of options, and don't know which is better in this context.

What word do you suggest I use to translate layout in a web design or graphic design context?

Noticed today that MS Word uses word "Макет" to translate (Table) Layout.
    – Artemix
    Nov 25, 2013 at 8:02
    Also, keyboard layout = раскладка
    – Anixx
    Apr 11, 2017 at 7:51

3 Answers 3

My suggestions:

• (web)site layout — макет сайта, оформление сайта
  • (web)page layout — макет страницы, разметка страницы
  • graphic design layout — макет, графический макет, макет изображения.
  • Spasibo bolshoe Eugene! If i have to choose one for website layout, which can be better: макет сайта or оформление сайта ? Nov 16, 2013 at 16:07
    макет сайта is temporary, unfinished work, preview. оформление сайта - more like 'design', 'look'.
    – Eugene
    Nov 16, 2013 at 16:12

It looks like you're actually talking about "вёрстка". If you mean the very process of translating psd-files (or whatever is drawn) to html, this is exactly the word you're looking for.

The coder who usually deals with such translations is called a "верстальщик".

Thank you for the information. Was more about making the layout of the website, in the meaning that the client can see the structure and the main aesthetic idea of the site. Thank you anyway! Nov 16, 2013 at 16:08
  • "Верстка" - это процесс написания markup, а не layout. Apr 11, 2017 at 11:41

I'm a software developer who worked a lot with HTML and CSS in the 2000's. I can say that Russian has adopted a lot of IT terms from English without modification.

Верстка isn't a good translation because it refers to complete HTML and CSS with pixel accuracy, whereas layout refers to general outlines. Макет is okay. But you can simply just say "layout" — this word was borrowed as is.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.