Take the 2-minute tour ×
Russian Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Russian language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can you help me please to translate "Automatic transmission" and "Manual transmission" ?

I have found this:

Automatic transmission: автоматическая коробка передач

Manual transmission: механическая коробка передач

Transmission: коробка передач

Is this correct? Are they abbreviated as АКП and МКП ?
If i will use this abbreviations on a russian website, everybody will understand them?

Thank you!

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Механическая коробка передач и автоматическая коробка передач - are indeed the correct translations. Abbreviations МКП и АКП are also correct (also sometimes used МКПП and АКПП - механическая/автоматическая коробка переключения передач), although I haven't seen these beyond the motor-engineering literature.

In colloquial speech, you can also hear simple механика и автомат.

As for your specific website, I suppose it depends what your audience is. I personally would avoid using the abbreviations, but it's really up to you.

share|improve this answer

Трансмиссия for transmission also works. –  jwalker Feb 11 at 15:34

Another colloquial word for manual transmission is "ручная коробка". –  Igor Skochinsky Feb 26 at 8:54

Yes, it is correct

Also correct

Automatic transmission: автоматическая коробка переключения передач

Manual transmission: механическая коробка переключения передач

Transmission: коробка переключения передач

and they are abbreviated as АКПП and МКПП

Also

Automatic transmission: автомат

Manual transmission: механика http://ab.onliner.by/

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.