Take the 2-minute tour ×
Russian Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Russian language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My tandem-partner says короче. I asked her to tell me the meaning, but she refused to teach me 'bad Russian' (I don't know if she was kidding, though).

I've seen короче in Lingvo but that source doesn't provide the expected meaning.

share|improve this question

"In short......" –  Anixx Jun 5 at 21:59

2 Answers 2

up vote 13 down vote accepted

Just a filler word. Associated with being cool and kinda redneck nowadays. A colloquial contraction from an already colloquial "короче говоря" (in a nutshell, to make a long story short)

Some people are just too used to insert it in the beginning of the sentence, which is grammatically correct but still looks like a verbal tic if you love it too much.

• Короче, я вот что хочу сказать = 'kay, here's what I want to say
  • Короче, она пришла ко мне и расплакалась. = Long story short, she came to me and bursted into tears.
share|improve this answer
That must be like that annoying "so..." at the beginning of a story that's so popular now in the US. I don't know where the hell it came from, but now I even hear adults using it. They sound like valley girls! –  CocoPop Jun 3 at 22:05
It also means 'shorter' –  Ivan Black Jun 4 at 1:54
I would also add "anyway". –  Artemix Jun 4 at 6:34

It means something like "without going into detail," usually after an attempt was made to give the longer version or, literally, "in short". For many it is a parasite word, getting into their every other sentence. It's not as bad as "так сказать" but similar.

I have a Canadian friend who injects "так сказать" into almost every sentence. I witnessed him talking to his Canadian friends and putting it into English sentences. Your friend is right, treat it as if it wasn't spoken at all.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.