Take the 2-minute tour ×
Russian Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Russian language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've looked this up more than once, and have received this as the translation:

"Попутно отметим, что ..."

I really like how it sounds, but it appears to be a little too formal for general conversation, no? Is it possible to get away with it without sounding pretentious (i.e. like a smartass)? Thanks!

share|improve this question

I think, right here the translation may depend on style because there isn't a one-size-fits-all phrase for that in Russian. In some contexts "(И )кстати" is the best choice, in more formal "К слову", "Также/Попутно отметим (заметим), что " or "В качестве информации к размышлению" will suit more. I feel that in conversation "Кстати"/ "И кстати", "К слову", "Между прочим" are the best variants. When going informal you may also play with "Ну/Да, и ещё ..." (And, OK, also blah-blah-blah) –  Shady_arc Jul 8 at 0:19

2 Answers 2

It's difficult to be certain without a context, but one way is to say между прочим:

Графиня... сводила разговоры на любовь и между прочим рассказывала про своего близкого соседа, помещика Хвощинского... (И. Бунин, Грамматика любви)

Another option is кстати:

Тогда вы всю жизнь сидите в дворницкой, а я пойду за стульями. Кстати, первый стул над нашей головой. (И. Ильф, Е. Петров, Двенадцать стульев)

share|improve this answer

"Попутно отметим" is definitely too formal for general conversation. As Aleks G pointed out, it's difficult to find a good translation without context. Just to add another variant: "к слову".

...южанин родом, я полюбил бедную петербургскую природу, белые весенние ночи, которые - к слову сказать - ничем не хуже наших пресловутых украинских ночей... (В.Гаршин, Петербургские письма)

I have to disagree with Garshin here, although I also love the white nights :)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.