Russian Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Russian language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the Russian term for the emigres who returned to Russia during the Stalin years--and at his invitation? This was during the 1930s, I think, and was a specific term. Thanks!

share|improve this question

Do you mean the term "возвращенцы"? But as far as I know, it is used in reference to emigres who returned to Russia not only during the Stalin years, but in general referring to a person who returned to his (her) motherland from emigration.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the correction, Anixx! – RussianTeacher Sep 3 '14 at 18:31
Хотя репатрианты упоминаются в 20-е годы, "возвращенцев" гораздо больше. В статьях Википедии можно встретить такую характеристику человека: эмигрант-«возвращенец». – Artemix Sep 4 '14 at 11:20

Репатриа́нты, maybe?

At least, those who was forced to leave USSR during the World War II: prisoners of war, ostarbeiters (forced labourers in Germany), refugees, etc; and then returned back, when the war was ended, was officially called репатрианты. E. g. there was an government official Уполномоченный СНК СССР по делам репатриации.

Later, in 1970–90 that word was used mostly for those who departed from USSR to Israel, but that’s another story.

share|improve this answer
В Национальном корпусе есть упоминание этого слова в 1924 году: "Нечего говорить уже о высылках так называемых репатриантов. [С. П. Мельгунов. «Красный террор» в России (1924)]". Википедия о репрессиях 20-х годов: "Арестам подвергались «бывшие» — помещики, белые, особенно вернувшиеся в СССР — «репатрианты» — а также «кулаки», «буржуи»...". – Artemix Sep 4 '14 at 11:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.