Please explain the difference between subjunctive and conditional. E.g., in other languages it is quite easy

Conditional:

I will not come with you unless you behave yourself.
If you are creating a scene I am not coming with you

Subjunctive:

I wish you were here
I hoped he would have come

Please say it with examples as you always do.

Please make your question more specific. Are you asking about how to form subjunctive and conditional tense in Russian? Are you asking about when a subjunctive should be used and when a conditional should be used? Do you have any particular Russian examples in mind?
    – Olga
    Oct 22 '12 at 7:26

Predictive mood is expressed through future tense with optional addition of conjunction если (or colloquial ежели, коли etc.), for factual conditions (those in your examples, expressed in English through "if" or "unless"):

Не будешь хорошо себя вести — не пойду с тобой.

Если соберёшься устроить скандал, я с тобой не пойду.

, or conjuction пока for temporal conditions (expressed in English through "while" or "until"):

Пока не станешь себя хорошо вести, не пойду с тобой. // I won't go with you until you behave yourself.

Пока ты столько пьёшь, я с тобой не встречаюсь. // I'm not going with you while you are drinking so hard.

Speculative mood is conveyed through past tense and particle бы, possibly prepended with conjunction если (if in the beginning of the clause):

Если бы ты хорошо себя вёл, я бы с тобой пошла // If you were behaving yourself, I would come with you.

Не собирался бы ты устроить скандал, я бы с тобой пошла. // If you were not going to create a scene, I would come with you.

, or through conditional verb in imperative (and without бы):

Я пошла бы с тобой, веди ты себя хорошо // Were you behaving yourself, I would come with you.

Не соберись ты устроить скандал, я бы с тобой пошла // Were you not going to create a scene, I would come with you.

Optative mood is conveyed through optative clause starting with чтобы and the verb in past tense:

Хочу, чтобы ты была здесь // Wish you were here

Volitive mood is conveyed through volitive clause staring with что and the verb in future tense:

Я надеялся, что он придёт // I hoped he would have come

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.