I'm newbie in both English and Russian, so sorry. But Russian is pretty much more difficult for me... Trying to translate few sentences for about a hour... :) I'm especially confused by two words and their usage in conjunction with other ones. Can't understand at all! К тому же, по деньгам у них - не ахти. Но вот за что я ручаюсь - я не был у них в голове, не телепат, но выглядят и ведут себя они намного веселее и раскованнее, чем у нас. Нету у людей напряга. Or maybe this sentences are wrongly composed and there are no meaning at all? Thanks a lot for your help.

As user4419802 posted - you are reading the spoken language, which is hard. Not only because spoken/slang words are not present in dictionaries, but also because in several years they may vanish from the language, and so, time spent on learning these words is not spent effectively, especially when you are starting to learn new language.
    – Artemix
    Sep 11 '15 at 7:49
    "по деньгами" is totally wrong, it can be either "по деньгам" or "с деньгами".
    – Anixx
    Sep 11 '15 at 15:02
  • I see nothing wrong with studying the spoken language at any given time in history. The fact is that "snapshots" of the vernacular of any era are immortalized in movies, songs, books and web content that can be accessed at any time.
    – CocoPop
    Sep 22 '15 at 16:41

Не ахти means not too well. Напряг is a slanguish word meaning trouble. I hope that would be sufficient to catch the rest.

The problem is you're trying to understand a "spoken" language which is not a good place to start.

Напряг = strain or stress. It can be due to trouble, it can be due to lack of resources (money, living space, etc.), it can be just in one's head. "Нету у людей напряга" means they don't appear to be stressed out, or under strain. Sep 11 '15 at 12:53
  • Also, not "по деньгами у них", but "с деньгами у них". Wish you success in your studies! Both English and Russian are great languages deserving full effort on the part of the student. Sep 11 '15 at 12:55
    @VictorBazarov Slang words are used often in different ways. I deliberately chose "trouble" as it means both "real problem" and "concern". Just like "напряг" does. And saying "по деньгам" is a common spoken practice nowadays. I'm agree it's not a good habit but too many people say so.
    – Matt
    Sep 11 '15 at 13:11
  • "По деньгам" ≠ "По деньгамИ". The preposition "по" requires dative case, not instrumental. Sep 11 '15 at 13:21
  • @VictorBazarov Ah, I didn't see this. Thus it may be either "по деньгам" or "с деньгами". Not sure if it's worth choosing either option to correct it.
    – Matt
    Sep 11 '15 at 13:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.