In this song lyric:

Мой парень снова влип в дурные дела

The word "влип" appears (I checked two lyrics sites), but I can't find it in any online dictionaries. What does it mean? And would the sentence still be grammatically correct without it? (ie. "Мой парень снова в дурные дела")

No, the sentence without this word is ungrammatical.
    – Anixx
    Sep 17, 2015 at 10:07
  • "Мой парень - снова в дурные дела" this will be grammatical :> Nov 24, 2021 at 6:06
  • classes.ru/all-russian/russian-dictionary-Ozhegov-term-3456.htm - словарь Ожегова I don't know which dictionaries you are watching. Literally it mean get into a viscous, thick, - sticky (в-лип-нуть, лип-кий, like a leaf of tree липа (linden)) - liquid or substance like the syrup, glue or swamp Nov 24, 2021 at 6:11

3 Answers 3

Влип is the past tense of the verb влипнуть, which literally means to get into something sticky. Here, this word is used with a colloquial meaning very close to English to get (oneself) into a mess.

• So влипнуть is an irregular verb?
    – Jack M
    Sep 16, 2015 at 20:55
  • @JackM In what sense irregular?
    – UVV
    Sep 17, 2015 at 5:53
    @JackM Maybe you mean "perfective" verb? Russian verbs have a few types of conjugation, and thus cannot be simply divided into regular/irregular as in English.
    – Matt
    Sep 17, 2015 at 7:43
  • Well, past tense verbs normally end in л, but this one doesn't.
    – Jack M
    Sep 17, 2015 at 8:29
    @JackM This is not considered to be "some irregularity" but rather "yet another pattern". Quite a few verbs ending in consonant+'нуть' are like this: no suffix in masc. sing. past tense.
    – Matt
    Sep 17, 2015 at 8:50

This widely used informal expression means to get (oneself) into an unpleasant situation with inevitable consequences. There's also a famous saying, "Bлип, очкарик!" (You're stuck, foureyes!), from a very popular Soviet movie where those words are said to the main character who wears glasses and literally gets stuck in a tar pit.

It usually means "got stuck in something", as in Ты влип в неприятности You've got problems, which merely states a fact, i.e. it doesn't sound threatening or wish hardship on the listener.

However bear in mind that it's a standalone phrase not usually followed by anything: Ты влип. You've got problems.

Hope this helps. =)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.