Since most feminine conjugations of Russian names, as well as nouns and adjectives either end with a, or я, I find it weird that Никита is a typical masculine name?

I'm wondering if it is just an "exception" on the rule, or whether there is a logical explanation?

It comes from Greek masculine name Νικήτας meaning "victor". The Greek ending -ς is usually dropped in Russian so the word ends up with -α. This is similar to French masculine name Nicolas (which was also borrowed from Greek) where the final -s is not pronounced.

| improve this answer | |

Typically short from of masculine first names also end in or .
For instance:

• Дима
  • Петя
  • Вова, Володя
  • etc

The following full form of masculine first names also end in or :

• Илья
  • Добрыня
  • Кузьма
  • etc

So it is not weird.

Russian nouns ending in or are either feminine or masculine.

Feminine: мама, тётя, Наташа, Ольга, Светлана

Masculine: папа, дядя, воевода, Никита, Данила, Серёжа, Саша, Коля, Петя

Very "nice" answer. I can't believe the other responders found it necessary to inform this person that "his assumption is just wrong." I never ceases to amaze me that someone can achieve such a good command of a language and not learn the finer points of communicating with the appropriate tone. – CocoPop Sep 24 '15 at 13:30

Well, your assumption is just wrong. There are some word which are masculine though are ending at -a or -я. Like:

• Парнишка (or братишка or мишка, plus some other words ending on -ишка)
  • Дядя
  • Деда
  • Мужчина
  • Судья
  • Юноша

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.