I am struggling with the word "рождéния". I have used Google Translate but I want to run this by you. You are smarter than the Google machines.

Is the prounaciation "rozdenja" or "razdenja". I assume that with the "я" I shoukd in this case end the word with an "-ja". Let me know what you think about this. I am using that word together in a sentence with: "день рождéния".

• Learn Russian transcription and probnounciation rules.
    – Anixx
    Oct 4 '15 at 1:58
  • 01:03:22 Само собою разумеется, что ротик раскрывался при этом случае очень грациозно. Ко дню рождения приготовляемы были сюрпризы:… Гоголь Николай - Мёртвые души I Том. Часть 1 (аудиокнига) youtu.be/-U3UUsPMqzY?t=1h3m22s
    – Avtokod
    Oct 5 '15 at 9:46
  • 06:03:29 Уже родились они с ним в минуту рождения его в свет, и не дано ему сил отклониться от них. Гоголь Николай - Мёртвые души II Том. youtu.be/eSh3rmZUbkY?t=6h3m29s
    – Avtokod
    Oct 5 '15 at 10:09

(Using English pronunciation shorthand)

You can pronounce it as "rƏzh- D'EH- knee- yah" ('k' in 'knee' is silent of course). The third syllable is different in the word "рожденья", note the soft sign where in the other 'и' is. That word is pronounced as "rƏzh- D'EN'- yah".

As you can see, in both the letter 'я' stands by itself and hence needs to contain the fricative(?) 'j' sound (English 'y').

• The schwa in the first syllable isn't standard. Except in the south, it's "razh-" with a full [a]. Oct 3 '15 at 19:22
    @NikolayErshov Full [a]? Are you from Moscow? ;) "S dnyom raaaazhdenya" :)
    – codeholic
    Oct 5 '15 at 20:54
  • Not "S dnom", surely! "Z dnyom..." Oct 5 '15 at 20:57
  • @codeholic Pre-emphatic а's are full, as in unreduced, in all Central Russian pronunciations. The regional differences are purely quantitative. Anyway, yes I am from Moscow and that little impression you did is how people talk in Pskov, not Moscow. Moscow [a]'s are wide and sharp, not long-drawn. S dnyom rA!!zhdeniya :) Oct 5 '15 at 22:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.