I can't understand the difference between the these words.

Is there one?

Edit: I know all about intransitive and transitive verbs, but my dictionaries say that плескать can be intransitive too. "Волны плещут о борт корабля" "вода плеснула"

That's were the confusion is for me.

• +1 to "I know all about intransitive and transitive verbs"
    – mustaccio
    Oct 6 '15 at 2:37
  • -ся denotes reflexive verb, transitivity is not really relevant here
    – jwalker
    Oct 6 '15 at 7:42

"Плескать" (perfective "плеснуть") means 'to splash some liquid somewhere or at someone', like in

Он плеснул ей в лицо водой. - He splashed water into her face.

Like this:

On the other hand, "плескаться" is something one can do alone, to bathe and splash water around.

Ребёнок плещется в ванне. - A baby is splashing in the tub.

Like this:

or it can mean two people bathing and splashing at each other or more people bathing and splashing at one another.

Школьники плескались в фонтане. - Pupils were splashing in the fountain.

Like this:

Cool answer—pictures, yea!)
    – VCH250
    Oct 6 '15 at 1:17

In short, yes, there is.

The former is transitive (can have a direct object), whereas the latter is intransitive (used without a direct object). In fact you can say that the latter is the same as the former with "self" as the object (the postfix '-ся' called "reflexive" postfix, formed from "себя" = "oneself").

Here is the verb "плескать" with a direct object:

Днепр сердито плескал волнами.

The verb "плескаться" can be used in different shades of meaning. From the recent news:

Бегемот-малыш с удовольствием плескался в бассейне зоопарка.
На северном полюсе Марса когда-то плескался океан.

The first sentence, the baby hippo splashed with pleasure in a zoo pool. In the second, an ocean splashed on Mars' Nothern pole some eons ago. Both mean (in Russian) that the subject "splashed itself".

• The dictionary says that плескать can be intransitive too. "Волны плещут о борт корабля.."
    – VCH250
    Oct 6 '15 at 1:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.