Can you, please, help me translate the adjective вырвиглазный into English?

Usage: вырвиглазный баннер, вырвиглазный перевод. Synonyms:

• аляповатый
  • дебильный
  • запредельный
  • мозговыносящий
  • мозговырывающий
  • мозгоразрывающий
  • стрёмный
  • ужасный
  • The original meaning of "вырви-глаз" is "very acidic" (relates to taste of food products). – Victor Bazarov Oct 6 '15 at 14:53
  • Something like "eye-rending", perhaps. – Victor Bazarov Oct 6 '15 at 14:59

How about "eye-popping"? Not exactly the same meaning, but it has the right visual.

Alternatively you could call those banners ugly, unsightly or hideous. Fugly, if you choose to be explicit.

Translations can be abhorring, baffling or unfathomable.

So that's the shortlist! I used a http://www.thesaurus.com for this answer. I'm sure you can find something that speaks to your particular case there. Good luck!

• Please, add a link to the thesaurus. – naXa Oct 6 '15 at 19:35

Urban Dictionary has some variants:

eye-hurt - A visible object that hurts your brain when viewed. This could be an ugly-ass girl/guy, or a crappy piece of art.

Damn website font is eye-hurt!

eyesore - Ugly, hard on the eyes.

Since you painted your house electric pink it has become the eyesore of the neighborhood.

eye trash - anything that is a visually offensive; i.e. a waste of good scenery; worse than an eye sore.

All the "cookie cutter" urban sprawl is eye trash for nature.

• Alas, none of those is an adjective... – Victor Bazarov Oct 6 '15 at 17:18
  • @VictorBazarov - Come on! English nouns can be used as attributes. – Yellow Sky Oct 6 '15 at 17:21
    Try it. "This is such an eye-sore banner". "This is such an eye-hurt banner". "I saw an awful eye trash translation". – Victor Bazarov Oct 6 '15 at 17:24

I'd add "gaudy" to a list of possible translations. According to the google dictionary it means: extravagantly bright or showy, typically so as to be tasteless. Seems to be pretty close to вырвиглазный in my impression.

• I think the most important trait of "вырвиглазный" is to refer to the pain the beholder endures when watching the item. "Gaudy" has no such connotation (at least to me). – Victor Bazarov Oct 6 '15 at 19:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.