I have a few questions. I am struggling with these ones and I need some help.

Are these locative, dative or genitive pluralis?

в нём (dative)? в саду (dative)?

много цетов --> genitive pluralis? due to the много? много овощей --> genitive pluralis? Is the -ей added in this case because it is feminine?

• в нём, в саду - is a locative. Много цветов, много овощей are in genitive, you got that right. – Vilmar Oct 9 '15 at 10:06
  • большой Спасибо! – Ana Oct 9 '15 at 10:14
    The correct way to say 'thank you very much' is 'Большое спасибо!' – Yellow Sky Oct 9 '15 at 11:38
    @Ana, please, don't be lazy and care to give appropriate titles to your questions. "Russian grammar" is a bad title. – shabunc Oct 9 '15 at 16:54
  • @Yellow sky: thanks for the correction. I highly appreciate it and your contributions and responses improves my russian language skills and boosts my motivation. The feedback, I get from you and the other gurus is lightyears from what is given in my russian class. – Ana Oct 10 '15 at 10:04

Since you already know about genitive, locative and dative from the comments, this is to answer your last question:

"много овощей" --> genitive plural? Is the -ей added in this case because it is a feminine?

No. Plural of "овощ" = "овощи". Regardless of gender, plurals that end on "-и" often have in genitive the postfix "-ей". It is ruled by the declension, not gender. By the way, the gender of "овощ" is masculine. Other examles:

Щи (cabbage soup, masculine, no singular, 2nd declension) - genitive щей
Вещи (from "вещь" "thing", feminine, 3rd declension) - genitive вещей
Родичи (from "родич" "kin", masculine, 2nd declension) - genitive родичей
Москвичи (from "москвич" "Muscovite", masculine, 2nd declension) - genitive "москвичей"

and so on. But

Тысячи (from "тысяча" "thousand", feminine, 1st declension) - genitive тысяч
Дачи (from "дача" "cottage", feminine, 1st declension) - genitive "дач"
Чащи (from "чаща", "jungle, thicket", feminine, 1st declension) - genitive "чащ"

Note that some 2nd and 3rd declension nouns have in genitive plural the "-ей", but 1st declension ones in genitive plural have no postfix.

В нём - prepositional case.

В саду - locative case. Some nouns require a locative case instead of prepositional after в and на, when location is described. Example:

• Дети гуляли в лесу - locative
  • Поэт написал стихи о лесе - prepositional

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locative_case#Russian for more information.

Много цветов, много овощей - genitive pluralis. When the quantity is given, no matter exact or inexact (одиннадцать, пять много, несколько etc.), nominative pluralis and accusative pluralis are replaced by genitive pluralis.

• Зачем ты купил овощи? (accusative p.)
  • Зачем ты купил так много овощей? (genitive p.)

Note that other cases are not replaced: - На столе лежит мешок с овощами (instrumental p.) - На столе лежит мешок с несколькими овощами (also instrumental p.)

The exeption is when the quantity ends by один (одна, одно), два (две), три, or четыре. Then the rules are more complicated.

When the quantity ends by один (одна, одно), the noun keeps it case but becomes singular.

When the quantity ends by два (две), три, or четыре, n.p. and a.p. are replaced by genitive singularis:

• Билл Гейтс купил четыре реактивных самолёта. (genitive singularis)

But if the noun is animate, and the original case is accusative rather than nominative, the number is plural!

• Вася Пупкин купил четырёх помойных котов (genitive pluralis or accusative pluralis - they are the same in this case)

Finally, if the quantity ends by один (одно, одна), the case is not changed, but the number becomes singular.

• Салман ибн Абдул-Азиз купил двадцать одну межконтинентальную баллистическую ракету (accusative singularis)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.