What is the most common Word when referring to a bed? I.e., У меня есть две кровати? or is there a better word for the noun "bed"?

A better question is to explain the difference between, "кровать, постель"
    – VCH250
    Oct 13 '15 at 19:00
  • I don't agree - I have considered this question many times just as he put it: We know there are several words for BED, but the User, and I for that matter, want to know which ones are most commonly used. I couldn't tell you the difference between a hotdog and a frankfurter, but I COULD tell you that most people call it a hotdog! Upvote :)
    – CocoPop
    Oct 14 '15 at 13:01
    @CocoPop Both кровать and постель are commonly used words.
    – Matt
    Oct 14 '15 at 13:46
  • Кровать. We say "постель" when we mean bed prepared for sleeping
    – user6151
    Oct 18 '15 at 6:50

There are two different words in Russian:

• Кровать is the piece of furniture
  • Постель is any place with the bedclothes lying on it (or even just the full set of bedclothes)

They are sometimes interchangeable though. "Я лежу в кровати" and "Я лежу в постели" mean the same.

There are also old words such as ложе or одр but you normally see them only in the books.

• Ложе (cf. "лежать" = to lie; "положить" = to lay) is an outdated poetic word for bed; in common speech it's still in use meaning stream bed or gun stock
  • Одр is only usable as a part of the expression: на смертном одре = on deathbed

There are three words that could match "bed" in English:

• Кровать - bed as in wooden piece of furniture in everybody's home. Probably your case.
  • Постель - bed as in sheets and covers. Widely used for talking about a place where lovers have fun.
  • Ложе - archaic, don't use it.

Source: I am Russian.

I'd say "кровать" is the most popular one.

Постель is more official than кровать. Ложе or одр? No one says so. And you can't see it in modern books. I forgot when I met it last time. P.S. Trust me, I'm Russian.

The most common word is кровать. You can use постель when you are talking about place prepared for sleep, as it was sayed above. Actually, as a native speaker, I can say that постель can sound a little bit too intimate, but this is my opinion, not the rule. Mostly these two words are interchangeable, for example, if yu say "Почему ты ещё в кровати, уже поздно?" it won't be a mistake, even if the person you are talking to is on the sofa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.