Literally it means maybe "just what they need". But it is supposed to bear an ironic meaning, I guess. Right?

it's not slang, it's a commonly used idiom – Quassnoi Oct 13 '15 at 20:17
  • @Quassnoi's answer is not complete: "так [им/ему/ей/вам/мне/...] и надо" is ALWAYS ironic. It's definitely not a good idea to say this after smth like "they are getting married" :) – Mikant Oct 24 '15 at 18:04
  • @Mikant: hi and welcome to Russian.SE! What exactly in my answer would suggest such a usage? – Quassnoi Oct 24 '15 at 20:43
  • @Quassnoi, your answer is ok, but there's only a translation of the idiom which imo doesn't answer the real question: But it is supposed to bear an ironic meaning, I guess. Right? – Mikant Oct 25 '15 at 22:40
  • @Mikant: I don't think it's any more ironic than "they had it coming" or "serves them right". – Quassnoi Oct 26 '15 at 7:16

It means "they deserve it" (of a bad thing), "they had it coming", "it serves them right".

This passage from "The Brothers Karamazov" by Dostoyevsky:

— Сумасшедший, ведь ты убил его! — крикнул Иван. — Так ему и надо! — задыхаясь, воскликнул Дмитрий.

in English translation reads:

‘Madman! You’ve killed him!’ cried Ivan. ‘Serve him right!’ shouted Dmitri breathlessly.

• Useful to note: translation by Constance Garnett. – Victor Bazarov Oct 13 '15 at 20:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.