I read that the translation of "what do you mean?" is что вы имеете ввиду?

1) Which is the correct or better form: ввиду or в виду? Or there is no difference?

2) What is the literal translation of иметь ввиду?

I know иметь means "to have", and according to Wiktionary ввиду means "in view of", so my rough guess is that the literal translation of иметь ввиду is "to have a view", and the literal translation of что вы имеете ввиду? is "what view do you have?"

In the idiom "Иметь в виду" only split writing is acceptable. It literally means, as you guess, to have in a view, but really stands for to mean.

Yet there also exists the preposition ввиду (obviously made of the split form в виду - it's quite a common thing in Russian), which means due to, because of. Actually you can compose some meaningful sentence using иметь and ввиду, but probably it wouldn't be what Вы имели в виду.

Иметь ввиду is a grammar mistake. The right way of writing is Иметь в виду. It is an idiom meaning to mean or to keep in mind.

Что ты имеешь в виду?
What do you mean?

Имей в виду, что они не согласятся с тобой.
Keep in mind that they won't agree with you.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.