I have always considered летающий the derived adjective/active participle of летать. However, today I came across the following passage:

В него попал какой-то летящий обломок.

He was pelted by some piece of flying debris.

Are they in fact interchangeable, or is this a typo? If not, what is the difference, if any, in their usage?

Летающий and летящий are formed from two different verbs: летать and лететь (the former being an iterative for the latter).

It's similar to English "sniffle / sniff, shuffle / shove" etc.

However, this particular iterative participle also acquired an idiomatic meaning: it means not only "flying repeatedly" but also "able to fly".

Adjectives meaning "able to" or "inherently doing smth." are in number of cases formed by using suffix -уч/-юч: горючий / горящий, кипучий / кипящий, гремучий / гремящий etc., летучий / летящий being no exception.

So летающий has two meanings:

1. Adjective "able to fly", synonymous to летучий: летающая тарелка "flying saucer", летающая крепость "flying fortress".

2. Participle "flying repeatedly or continuously": Летающий в ночи "The Night Flier", часто летающий пассажир "frequent flier" etc.

Летящий is a participle meaning "flying at the moment": астероид, летящий по направлению к Земле "an asteroid flying towards Earth".

Летящий - means flying right now.
Examples:

Летящий обломок
Самолет, летящий в южном направлении

Летающий - means able to fly.
Examples:

Летающий кран
Самолет, ежедневно летающий по маршруту Москва - Нью-Йорк

• Thank you. However, by your definition, I would expect it to be: самолет, ежеднвно летящий по маршруту Москва - Нью-Йорк,since it currently flies that route, no?
    – CocoPop
    Jan 26 '16 at 20:43
    @CocoPop - Летающий can also mean "flying there and back, flying back and forth": У меня есть друг, часто летающий в Лондон, and also "flying around": Вороны, летающие над лесом, громко каркали.
    – Yellow Sky
    Jan 26 '16 at 20:56
    @CocoPop No. ежедневно means everyday and it doesn't imply that it flies right now.
    – Dmitry
    Jan 26 '16 at 20:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.