предмет=вещь? предмет=урок? if i got it correct in some cases it means "thing", in some cases it means "lesson"?

There are several meanings of the noun "предмет" in Russian.

1. A thing:

предмет домашнего обихода, предмет неопределённой формы.

2. An object of thought, action:

предмет спора,предмет любви.

3. Science or school subject:

школьные предметы, успевать по всем предметам.

4. Purpose in the phrase:

на предмет чего-то.

• thanks for answering with examples but why examples are only in russian? – Ismail Yilmaz Feb 20 '16 at 20:21
    It is a Russian word... – biggvsdiccvs Feb 21 '16 at 1:11
    @IsmailYilmaz examples in which language did you expect? – Nick Volynkin Feb 21 '16 at 17:12
  • It would have been more confusing if I had given examples in English (it's not ELL.stackexchange somehow ).It's much easier for you to translate them directly into your mother tongue than to use the third language. – V.V. Feb 21 '16 at 19:05
  • @V.V. i will do as you said, thank you so much. – Ismail Yilmaz Feb 21 '16 at 19:09

Предмет is a word whose meaning oscillates between "object" and "subject". Предмет doesn't mean "lesson", it means the thing that lessons are in — math, literature, etc. In English, these are called subjects, so there.

• To further strengthen your point, a book laying on a table is an object. Until it becomes a subject of a conversation. In Russian though, it is "предмет" in both sentences. – Dmitry Rubanovich Feb 21 '16 at 21:48

Word Предмет was created by the first famous russian scientist Vasiliy Lomonosov. It means the thing in front of your eyes. Point of interest. Or interest itself. Lomonosov used it to point to a subject of his scientific research.

• hmm so strange information! but after you said these things i wondered if there is any stem of this word? or its totally imagination of him from top of his mind? – Ismail Yilmaz Feb 26 '16 at 9:18
    @IsmailYilmaz This word has nothing to do with Lomonosov. It's probably related to Polish "przedmiot", which is a calque of Latin "objectum". Anyway, it means "перед"+"метать", i.e. "[smth.] thrown before [someone]", which is essentially the same as Latin "obiectus" ("[smth.] lying before [someone]"). – Matt Feb 26 '16 at 10:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.