I'm a little confused... When does one use each of the three endings in the title for nouns?

Thank you


Those are variations of the same suffix in complementary distribution, depending on the preceding consonant and stress.

  • -ом is used after hard (non-palatalized) consonants, except ц, ш, ж, anytime, and ц, ш, ж, ч, щ if stressed: угло́м, го́дом, плечо́м, борщо́м

  • -ем is used after soft (palatalized) consonants (including implied й, that's after vowels and ь in writing) and hard ц, ш, ж if unstressed: мо́рем, экипа́жем, со́лнцем, ду́шем, халде́ем, подспо́рьем

  • -ём is used after soft consonants (except ч, щ) if stressed: конём, огнём, ружьём, холуём

To put it more simply: -ом is hard, -ем is soft unstressed, -ём is soft stressed; but ц, ч, ж, ш, щ never work with ё in that position.


First of all, you're presumably talking of 2nd declension, which includes both neuter gender and masculine ending in -о -е or "zero" grammatical ending.

The rule of thumb is like this:

--> -ом
--> -ем
--> -ем
--> -ём
anything else --> -ом

Yet take this as a hint, not as a strict rule.


Существительные мужского рода единственного лица с пустым окончанием:творительный падеж единственного числа. Окончания -ом/-ем. Окончание -ом появляется всегда, если слово не оканчивается на шипящую или букву ц:

  • баран - творить бараном
  • стол - творить столом.

В случае если слово оканчивается на шипящую или ц, то существует два варианта: ударение не падает на окончание. В таком случае окончание -ем:

  • сторож - творить сторожем
  • душ - творить душем

ударение падает на окончание.

В таком случае окончание -ом:

  • плащ - творить плащом
  • грош - творить грошом.

Итого, строки описания:

  • молот → молотом
  • месяц → месяцем
  • Что значит выражение "единственное лицо"? Возможно имелось ввиду слово "число"?
    – OmarL
    Dec 9 '20 at 10:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.