I believe it is an idiom. Literally, it means "on charging become" or "charging is on", but I'm looking for a more meaningful translation. I found the phrase written on the back of a photo of my Russian girlfriend when she was younger (around 30). She is sitting on a hotel room bed in the photo next to a vase of flowers.

Зарядка ,first of all,means morning exercises as soon as you get up and there's another meaning charging gadgets.Both give power and strength. The whole phrase means get ready to do morning exercises! The origin is a song which was popular many years ago.

На зарядку,на зарядку, На зарядку по порядку становись!

• Thank you for answering my question! The translations I gave were from Google translate, which I'm sure you know aren't aways accurate... – Jeff Mar 12 '16 at 3:10
    My suggestion would be "Line up for morning exercise", it captures the military undertone of this phrase. – Anton Poznyakovskiy Mar 12 '16 at 8:19
  • Given that it's on the bad of a photo of a female on a bed next to some flowers, I assume that it has a sexual connotation too. – Jeff Mar 13 '16 at 4:20
  • I can't read "between the lines". – V.V. Mar 13 '16 at 5:39
    @Jeff there are no sexual connotations whatsoever unless you think girl-scouts are sexy. These photos indicate the atmosphere very well youtu.be/D9riXNb5_nM (the atmosphere of the totalitarian regime that controls all aspects of its subjects lives including the physical health). – jfs Mar 13 '16 at 16:51

"Line up for morning excersise" - phrase also can be used by an adult to gather up some group of children, say, at summer camp or P.E. at school to do those excersises. Can be followed by command "по порядку рассчитайсь" (i.e. based on the calculated order)

It's not only for adults, it is used in gym class by gym teachers to school students. Also, it's a common phrase, that they say on the morning TV, when they show exercises program and 'становись' doesn't mean 'line up', because it is singular and can be said to one person. It means 'stand up' or 'get up', so "На зарядку становись" means "Get up for the morning exercises".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.