Дупло сущ., ср.рода, им.падеж, ед.число : (there lives a squirrel).

Then:
Две белки выглянули из своих [...](there will be a pl.noun in this field)
(a couple ways to answer ...)

• Дупл
  • Дупел
  • Дуплей
  • ???

The question is: why have Russians faced difficulties in constructing such example?

The correct answer is дупел: ru.wiktionary.org.

Plural forms of some neuter nouns are rarely used in everyday language. Also significant part of the neuter nouns have no plural form at all. To be precise their plural form is the same as singular form. For instance:

метро
кофе
кино
пенсне
кимоно

• What's so hard about it? Село, стекло, бедро, окно, поле, море, солнце, etc., you name it. – Quassnoi Mar 13 '16 at 16:03
  • @Quassnoi Oops, you are right. Edited the post. Thank you. – Dmitry Mar 13 '16 at 16:09
  • Funny that not all Russians know that дупел is the right form here. Btw, for дно Gen.pl. is доньев, that is unobvious as well. – Justin McGuire Mar 14 '16 at 12:17
    @Justin McGuire: Its true, there are some weird words that not many people know how to say them in plural form. The most famous one: кочерга (an iron stick to mix coal in a fireplace for instance), I can guarantee no one knows for sure how to say it in plural :) many кочерг? кочерёг? кочерыжек? кочергей :)) – monstro Mar 16 '16 at 17:55
  • @monstro You might be surprised but I'm native :). And I know this word but before this moment I wasn't even sure this form exists (now I looked up in wiktionary - кочерёг) – Justin McGuire Mar 18 '16 at 0:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.