enter image description here

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble translating this note in Russian cursive. I have been able to make out a few words, but it doesn't make sense. Can someone please help?

Thank you.

The writing says:

Я думаю что важно знать русский язык потому что если это понимаешь, то знаешь что я хочу говорить

It's not written by a native Russian speaker and its meaning is quite obscure, but I think this is the gist of it:

I think that knowing Russian is important, because if you can read this, you know what I want to say.

This is most probably a love letter of some kind.

• This translation would be correct if the last word in the note were "сказать". However, the note says "говорить". A more accurate translation in this case would be "...you know that I want to talk". – AnT Mar 15 '16 at 16:10
    @ANT: as I said, this is not something written by a native Russian speaker. The way it is put the writing makes little to no sense. – Quassnoi Mar 15 '16 at 19:41
  • Maybe. But again, I offer this alternative version not because it is "more literal" or "more word-to-word". I offer it because it also makes sense. It is conceivable that the author of the note actually meant "...you know that I want to talk" specifically (as in "I want to keep our communication channels open"). Of course, we'll probably never know for sure. – AnT Mar 15 '16 at 20:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.