I encountered an example on Rosetta Stone which contrasted these three sentences:

1. Здесь нельзя с собакой
  2. Здесь нельзя на машине
  3. Здесь нельзя в туфлях

My question is, is there any grammatical reason why to use any of these pronouns and not the others? Are these specific to the noun just as в школе and на почте have pronouns specific to that noun? Or would нельзя в собаке also be just fine?

• any of these pronouns - Do you mean prepositions? нельзя в собаке- "do smth. while being inside a dog is prohibited" - does it denote something meaningful for you?
    – Matt
    Mar 19 '16 at 15:36
  • Yes, prepositions, derp
    – aestrivex
    Mar 21 '16 at 18:00

which contrasted these three sentences

All these sentences have some verb omitted. As we assume these verbs to be different, we naturally have to put different prepositions after them.

[гулять] с собакой --> [walk] with a dog
[ездить] на машине --> [drive] a car (no prepostion needed in English)
[ходить] в туфлях --> [walk] in shoes
[???] в собаке --> [what???] inside a dog

Are these specific to the noun

Specific to both a noun and a verb. I.e. just as usual.

Russian language often drops/omits the verb "to be." In all of the provided examples the verb "to be" (быть) is dropped.

Здесь нельзя [быть] с собакой

Здесь нельзя [быть] на машине

Здесь нельзя [быть] в туфлях

The choice of a preposition is dictated by how to be is connected with the object.

to be with a dog - быть с собакой

to be in a car - быть на машине

to be in shoes - быть в туфлях

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.