Is it simply чувствовать ненависть?

In a sentence like Он не чувствовал ненависти к своим врагам, what is the case of ненависти? I can rule out nominative plural and prepositional singular, but that leaves genitive singular, dative singular, and accusative plural. I want to make sure I'm thinking of ненависть in the Russian way here (not just a translation of "hatred").

2 Answers 2

Испытывать ненависть is probably the best choice in terms of style, but чувствовать is the go-to, catch-all term you're generally more likely to hear. Ощущать is another option but with ненависть, it somehow strikes me as unpleasantly wannabe-bookish. I could be wrong.

The case on ненависти is genitive singular; the reason for it is just the negative on the verb.

Ненависть is very much a translation of "hatred" — unless, conversely, I'm missing something uniquely English about the word; but I don't think I am. Both are the most generic term available in its respective language.

There is also the somewhat more flowery питать ненависть. Literally to "feed" or "nourish", here meaning "harbor".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.