I made a Google search, but couldn't find any answer. I'd like to know the names of the operators

+, -, x, /, =, <, >, %, {, }, (, ), :, &, etc.

Also I would appreciate links pointing to such symbols if there are any.

Have you tried to google english names like 'plus', 'minus', 'less', 'per cent', 'curly braces'? I believe most of these symbols have pages both in russian and english wikipedia – default locale Jun 15 '12 at 12:13
  • yeah but i got a few symbols that way , I typed division , i got reply division (actualy the google voice translation said division) – jathin Jun 15 '12 at 12:21
  • Oh, I meant google search, not google translate. btw, google translate gave me деление. – default locale Jun 15 '12 at 12:30
  • Actually i searched using the symbols,but if there are any resources out there ,i'm sure it should be listing the symbols also.( seems ,I should have translated the search term to Russian and then the search results back to English).;-) – jathin Jun 15 '12 at 13:33
    @KCd added tag mathematics. ;-) – jathin Jun 15 '12 at 13:50

Here is a page on wikipedia dedicated to mathematical symbols:

Also there is a category:

For example on the main page you can find a sidebar with links to pretty much all of the symbols from your question.

UPDATE: Symbols mentioned in original question:

+ - плюс, знак сложения. Related operation: сложение (addition).
- - минус,знак вычитания. Related operation: вычитание (subtraction).
x,* - знак умножения. Related operation: умножение (multiplication).
    More specific:
      x - крестик (applicable to symbol only not to the mathematical operation itself)
      * - звёздочка (symbol only);
/,: - знак деления. Related operation: деление(division).
    More specific:
      / - косая черта (symbol only);
      ÷ - обелюс (symbol only);
      : - двоеточие (symbol only);

= - знак равенства. Related operations: равенство(equality), присвоение(assignment).
- знак тождественности. Related operation: сравнение по модулю(congruence relation, as in modular arithmetic)
< - меньше (literally less)
> - больше (literally greater)
% - знак процента, процент
() - скобки, круглые скоки
( - открывающая скобка
) - закрывающая скобка
{} - фигурные скобки
<> - угловые скобки
[] - квадратные скобки
& - амперсанд (symbol only). Operation: логическое И,И (logic AND),побитовое И(bitwise AND)
. - точка (symbol only, literally point). Also, десятичная точка (decimal point), десятичный разделитель (decimal separator)

• Thanks for taking the time,I actually hoped to find it in en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_alphabet . but seems it is not there. – jathin Jun 15 '12 at 13:26
    I edited the translation of сравнение since its technical meaning in math would be called "congruence" (as in 8 = 2 mod 3), even though its everyday meaning translates as "comparison". – KCd Jun 15 '12 at 13:41
  • @Kcd, thanks for your edit. But in most of the cases I faced modular arithmetic russian texts tended to use ≡ (знак тождественности) for this (like b ≡ r mod n). I understand your point, though. Comparison really sounds wrong. Maybe I should just replace it with равенство (equality) – default locale Jun 15 '12 at 13:52
    @defaultlocale: I agree ≡ should be used instead of = in modular arithmetic, but I don't know how to produce ≡ directly from my keyboard. In retrospect I could have just cut and pasted it from some webpage, just as I have done now with the ≡ that you put in your comment. – KCd Jun 15 '12 at 18:48
    I never heard word обелюс in Russian for ÷ except as an answer to the question like ‘How this character per se may be called?’ Since it’s used in electrical engineering as range sing, e. g. 10÷15 mA, and never for division it may be called simply знак диапазона or тире (dash) if you do not want to pay attention to the dots above and below. – Dmitry Alexandrov Dec 27 '13 at 11:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.