Reading a few Wikipedia articles I come across different ways to spell buckwheat. One is Гречка (which is what I use when talking about buckwheat) and Гречиха (which I have never heard of before). What is the difference between the two words?

Buckwheat plant is called гречиха. It is cultivated for its grain-like seeds called греча or гречка (гречневая крупа) which we cook. The cooked buckwheat is called гречка, греча, гречневая каша. There are also гречневый продел (which is grated buckwheat grain) and гречневая мука (buckwheat flour) used for cooking.

In Ukraine, the speakers of Russian never use the name гречневый продел, and most of them don't even know what it is. Гречневый продел is called гречневая сечка in Ukraine, just a little remark on regional varieties of Russian. – Yellow Sky May 11 '16 at 14:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.