How would you counter someone that says something false, such as, "You don't speak Russian," then you say, "I do speak Russian!"? But how do you emphasize the do part?

• "Ты не говоришь по-руский" is wrong and ungrammatical sentence.
    – Anixx
    May 18, 2016 at 0:09
  • @Anixx How do you word it?
    – casey
    May 18, 2016 at 0:10
  • @Anixx whenever you can edit, it's just more efficient to edit the question rather then point to an error - the author still will notice it.
    – shabunc
    May 18, 2016 at 0:35

2 Answers 2

There's no such thing like "do" as an auxiliary verb in Russian, thus, there's not such thing like direct analog. But here's a list of phrases than more or less convey the same as the "I do" construction:

1. (colloquial) А вот и [нет,] говорю!
  2. (even more colloquial, even childish) - Очень даже и говорю!
  3. (more neutral) Да нет, [почему], говорю. (The same "отчего же, говорю")
  4. (bookish) Напротив, говорю.
  5. (even more bookish) Отнюдь, говорю.
  • Можно без добавлений, просто "говорю."Или в более распространенном предложении с логическим ударением на глагол.
    – V.V.
    May 18, 2016 at 7:42
  • @V.V. просто "говорю" соответствует "I speak Russian" rather than "I do speak Russian"!
    – shabunc
    May 18, 2016 at 7:49
  • Просто "говорю" в ответе соответствует ответу But I do (speak. Russian ).
    – V.V.
    May 18, 2016 at 7:55
  • "Нет, говорю" проще всего.
    – bipll
    May 23, 2016 at 18:46
  • How would you just say "I do" or "He doesn't" on their own?
    – casey
    Aug 31, 2016 at 22:12

This kind of "do" is not indicated in the text. All possible variants are either bookish or colloquial. An exact equivalent is emphasized by intonation.

• Вы не говорите по-русски.
  • Я́ говорю. (default is "Я говорю́").

Additional words, such as "-то" in "я-то говорю" instead of the intonation change indicates the intention of the speaker to argue. Only the intonation change is as plain and simple, as "do".

• That's true, it could be two different stresses on Я. "Вы не говорите по-русски. - Я́ говорю" or "И кто это говорит? - Я́ говорю". Spells the same, sounds differently. May 19, 2016 at 9:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.