In a magazine on an advertising page asking readers to subscribe the word подписываться was used. In a beginners' Russian textbook I saw the word выписать for the same thing. Are both correct?

Выписать strictly refers to printed periodicals delivered by regular mail, and, as such, is a little outdated now. Also, as far as I remember from my childhood when it was much more common to subscribe to things by mail, выписывать газету/журнал referred to being a subscriber (i.e. regularly receiving the publication), whereas the action of subscribing (as in filling in the form and paying at the post office) was подписаться, which transitioned quite naturally into online usage. Выписывать, on the other hand, didn't make it to electronic mailing lists; you say я подписан на эту рассылку, never я выписываю эту рассылку.

small addition: if it is not about periodicals, подписаться and выписать will have totally different meanings.
    – Alissa
    Aug 31 '16 at 12:47

Yes they are, the contexts they are used in differ and their form affects the meaning

выписывать means both to set up a subscription and be a regular subscriber
выписать only means to set up a subscription as does подписаться/подписываться

подписаться/подписываться requires preposition на+ Accusative

If there's a subscription campaign going on the most likely verb would be подписаться

If it's a private personal affair both are applicable, while подписаться is more formal and doesn't go with every word denoting a periodical

Я подписался на это издание

is stylistically preferable over

Я выписал это издание

издание is a broad generic term

they're interchangeable however with words denoting specific types of periodicals like газета, журнал

Я подписался на новую газету = Я выписал новую газету

BUT

Я подписывался на новую газету not always = Я выписывал новую газету as it depends on the meaning of выписывал as either was setting up my subscription OR was a subscriber, which transpires from the context

В данном случае, слово "выписать" означает "отправить письмо с просьбой выслать следующий номер журнала". Это - старая модель распространения периодических изданий, когда для получения каждого номера надо заранее отправить письмо (и такие журналы существуют даже в 21м веке, если верить бору).

Для случаев автоматической рассылки, когда не требуется запрашивать каждое сообщение - глагол "выписывать" не применим.

Извиняюсь, что пишу по-русски, по-английски я писать не умею.

• a questionable response. when i was a subscriber i never sent any letters, as the subscription would usually be set up for a year, and imagine how many letters one would have to send being for instance a weekly newspaper subscriber, let alone of a more frequent periodical, in which case the letters wouldn't be able to reach the addressee fast enough either, so this doesn't make much sense, выписать means to set up a subscription for a certain period, which is only done once Sep 1 '16 at 10:19

Do we really see difference between?

Я подписался на это издание

and

Я выписал это издание

No! It's the same. Depends on region etc.

But:

To subscribe - Подписаться

not: подписываться

You never will use подписываться despite you can use it. And very rare you will use выписать in internet. выписать is quite usefull for paper magazine etc. Я хочу выписать(подписаться на) эту газету. Я выписывал(подписывался на) журнал "Мурзилка". Пётр, выпиши(подпишись для меня на) мне(delete this word) газету "Правда"! . For abstract words and internet we use 'подписаться'. Я подписался на russian.stackexchange.com(internet). Я подпишусь на это издание(not concrete one).. And

Subscription = подписка! NOT выписка!!!

So. Use подписаться as more universal word. No mistake. подписываться - is little different actually.

I didn't want to sign under this document- Я не хотел ПОДПИСЫВАТЬСЯ под этим документом.

I hope my english is not so worse and you can understand at least half.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.