I sometimes see Russian people add some ) to the end of sentences, and sometimes even many of them: )))).

I recently read:

In Russian: ))))))) is a loud laugh

So I wonder: what does it mean when it is just one of them )? And is it a loud laugh when it comes with multiple of them?

• one parenthesis is very few so it may go unregistered as an emoticon with the reader, at least two must be put in; to a single parenthesis usually a colon is added so it looks like a face :) – Баян Купи-ка Sep 10 '16 at 6:44
    there's a reverse emoticon ((( which means sad, dissatisfied, sorry, the number of parentheses depends on the intensity of emotion – Баян Купи-ка Sep 10 '16 at 10:20
  • LOL, it really doesn't matter, does it? I mean it's a smile, god. – VCH250 Sep 10 '16 at 12:19

Here are some links on this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/russian/comments/2p55os/why_do_a_lot_of_russian_people_use_smiley_faces/

https://www.reddit.com/r/russian/comments/1ppdyf/russians_and/

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Russians-use-as-a-smiley-instead-of

I am pretty sure I have seen this asked on this site before too, but can't find such pages now.

The usage is entrenched now no matter what, but the reason explained by multiple sources is that the : symbol is ordinarily less convenient to produce on a Cyrillic keyboard [edit: you have to press two keys to get it, as the links above explain and as fedorqui points out in a comment below], so the : in :) dropped out.

• I don't quite understand the : symbol is ordinarily less convenient to produce on a Cyrillic keyboard. Does it mean it needs a difficult combination of keys to write it? Apparently it does. – fedorqui Sep 10 '16 at 14:43
  • it's placed on a not very conveniently situated tab, but like on the English keyboard it too requires a combination with Shift – Баян Купи-ка Sep 10 '16 at 15:43
  • Once I've made a PC keyboard layout where the "102" key produces the smiley in one hit. But 102-key keyboards are now extinct. And touch keyboards on phones and tablets have all those emoji. – ddbug Sep 12 '16 at 6:17
    @PavelMayorov the row of the keyboard where the English : is located is lower than for a Cyrillic keyboard. The issue is not involving the Shift key but how far the fingers have to move next. – KCd Sep 15 '16 at 12:35
    The colon is above the 6 on Russian keyboards. – David42 Sep 16 '16 at 1:29

It is a smilie :-) Many people are too lazy to type it. Multiple "))))" do not mean laughing, it's just a more friendly smile. :))

they are not lazy, they are smart ;) – MolbOrg Sep 9 '16 at 22:49
    This only confirms that Russians rarely smile, and even when they do, it looks awkward :-/ – ddbug Sep 10 '16 at 14:20
    the life doesn't predispose to happiness + cold climate + traits of national character – Баян Купи-ка Sep 10 '16 at 17:33

The answer from a native speaker:

We use ")" very often)

• One parenthesis ")" means a friendly smile, for example, when you share good news or just say "hi". (duty smile)
  • Two or more ))) russians commonly use at the end of a joke message or after a cheerful story, when we want to show how funny it was and we are still laughing.
  • :] - a sly demon smile. when you have eaten a basket of ice-cream secretly alone]]]
  • :) - this is a satisfied, glad or pleased smile. It's more official than without a colon.
  • :D - "can you imagine!" we use this smile to stress that a previously mentioned was a good joke and we were surprised and proud of it. it's like "wow" and ")))" at the same time.
  • ^^ - means "look at me, I'm a fine fellow", "it is done well because of my efforts", "Not at all, I don't need flowers", "you make me blush" etc.

I'm one of those who uses it. I use mostly ), )), ))) - more then that is very rare exception

first is like slight smile; second is like - my smile lasted second or so, yhea good; third - my smile lasted few seconds and probably laugh'ed, like this was really funny

more then that - I was laughing a lot, and it was crazy as sh so funny, can't stop to laugh, I have convulsions from that all and my finger do not belong me at the moment.

It is not wide used convention I guess, used myself as example of my reasoning. So it is kinda that battery charging icon - low charge etc.

if you see so much ))))))) more then once a day - girl, young, is annoyed, not ready to reject you yet. I'm kidding). But more seriously they do use another convention, do not know about them too much, would not take serious their smiles trough))).

• What is the meaning of your last paragraph? – Wilson Mar 21 '19 at 15:46
  • @Wilson attempt to make a joke and provide more context to OP as it a more multifactorial problem which has at least two axis - not the only number of parenthesis defines the strength of laughs, but it also depends who uses those in which manner there are different groups of people using them in few different manners. – MolbOrg Mar 21 '19 at 21:29

really, guys? You're new in the Web? It's pretty obvious that :), -) or ) represents "smile". Using brackets without colon or something - it's just network negligence. Single bracket displays slight smile, multiple - close to laughing. It isn't "Russian style", it's "Network style". The way of self expression in short text format

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.