In English, when we want someone to direct their gaze in a certain direction in order to take a photo, for example, or to see a specific angle of their face, we tell them to look over here, look that way, look at me, etc. Can (по)смотреть (or (an)other *смотр or *гляд verb(s)) be used in this way, or is there a more idiomatic way to express this in Russian?

• In English there is look, watch, glance, stare, etc.
    – Anixx
    Sep 24, 2016 at 16:16
  • @Anixx: not quite. If you want someone to face the camera, for example, you can't say "glance here" or "stare at me" - I don't think you read my post :)
    – CocoPop
    Sep 24, 2016 at 18:09
    the same is in Russian.
    – Anixx
    Sep 24, 2016 at 19:31
  • @Anixx: Alrighty then! I guess I just didn't understand why you were answering my question about a specific subset of Russian verbs in a specific usage by giving me general list of verbs that exist in my own language :)
    – CocoPop
    Sep 25, 2016 at 12:35

3 Answers 3

The most commom verbs meaning "look here, at me"are

смотри,смотрите сюда, посмотрите сюда.

If you are inviting to look at something, you say

смотри-ка,посмотри на это,глянь сюда,глянь-ка на него (very colloquial ) взгляни,взгляните на это,гляди (often used by people in villages,but rarely in cities now),погляди на него.

When someone takes pictures, he usually says,especially to children:

Внимание,сейчас вылетит птичка!(When you say 'Say "cheese"!).

To make someone look in the certain direction verbs of the root -смотр- and -гляд- can be used. The most often used here will be смотреть like "посмотри вот туда", "смотри, как красиво".

СМОТРЕТЬ, смотрю, смотришь; смотренный; несов.
1. на кого-что и на что. Направлять взгляд, чтобы увидеть кого-что-н., глядеть.
Смотреть на собеседника.
Смотри в окно.

There is a collocation "смотровая площадка", which means "площадка для осмотра местности" (a viewing area).
Посмотреть can also be used in that same sense.

Глядеть is another way of directing someone's gaze; although in some cases it may sound as a bit deprecated, it has mostly the same meaning. A way to use it is:

Взгляни, какой красивый вид! Look what a beautiful view!

There are other ways to express something like admire; they may depend on situation, used vocabulary and society. For example:

Полюбуйтесь, каков вид!

Только взгляните, до чего красиво!

глядеть is too dialectic and means rather to stare in order to perceive and not with a kind of a blank disinterested stare, therefore not

посмотреть is OK like in

смотри на меня

as well as повернуть голову (towards certain direction or object) for taking a shot

• Thank you! By the way, I didn't mean глядеть specifically, I meant any derivative of the root -гляд-.
    – CocoPop
    Sep 24, 2016 at 12:49
    technically one can say взгляни-ка вон туда, а-ну сейчас погляди-ка на меня but it may sound a bit pretentious and playful unless the word глядеть is a part of the speaker everyday vocabulary, that's just because the word itself is antiquated Sep 24, 2016 at 12:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.