I am wondering about ethimology of an idiom "Глаз на жопу натянуть", which literally means "Pull an eye onto ass". Surfing through the internet I have found that it was used in Shirli-Myrli [Ширли-мырли], but I am interested in the true nature of this idiom.

I'm not aware of any usage of this particular phrase before this movie. As far as I know not was not only popularized by this movie, it just came from this movie. This is pretty much like "not in Kansas anymore", actually a lot of idiom came into existence because of movies. – shabunc Oct 2 '16 at 21:30
    I definitely knew this idiom before that movie as the first part of idiom глаз на жопу натяну и моргать заставлю. – Dmitry Oct 2 '16 at 21:39
  • Выражение "глаз на жопу натягивать" знаю с 1960-х годов. – Андрей Jun 13 at 15:44
  • @Dmitry before 1971? The problem with that the original meaning was to confuse someone, perform a con. Not some physical violence as movie's version implied. – Swift Jul 3 at 21:22

The sentence is not an idiom but an example of argot (slang belonging to some social groups (outlaws, youngsters, etc.) Found in several dictionaries of Russian argot. Here's one of them: Большой словарь русских поговорок → Глаз на ж... (на задницу) натянуть

Глаз на ж... (на задницу) натянуть кому. Вульг.-прост. Vulgar. Сильно избить, наказать кого-л. To punish, beat somebody (a threat). СПП 2001, 24; Вахитов 2003, 109; Подюков 1989, 128; Мокиенко, Никитина 2003, 103. Since most of the words originate from outlaws I doubt that we can find any further information.

we need to look in correctional camps – Баян Купи-ка Oct 3 '16 at 15:37
    @БаянКупи-ка go ahead and good luck. – V.V. Oct 3 '16 at 16:39
  • and that meaning is pulled from movie. The original meaning it usually had is same as hanging noodles on ears :P – Swift Jul 3 at 21:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.