I would like to congratulate someone I know well for his 50th birthday.

Would the following be considered good, ok, bad or very bad?

С днем рождения, старый пердун!

Thanks for all the answers. Difficult to say which one I should consider "the" answer since they all share some truth. To honor that I'll upvote all and mark none as answer.
    – yglodt
    Oct 9, 2016 at 21:12
  • "Алкаш" уж лучше тогда. :-O
    – bipll
    Feb 9, 2017 at 21:37
  • Do not say like that if you met a person for the first time; otherwise, you will get punched or slapped on your face:) Feb 22, 2017 at 1:59
    Be careful with this one. You need to know a person very well and have a really close relationship with him to call him "пердун" otherwise your chances of getting a smack in a face are very high. Reminds me of a Grand Torino movie scene where Walt talks to his barber friend youtube.com/watch?v=GtSJOUOEJ8o Feb 23, 2017 at 11:16

5 Answers 5

Depends on the terms you're on with this person, because this is quite offensive, i mean it could be taken as a friendly banter by a good friend and as an insult by a stranger.

I think it's as strong as its English equivalent "Happy Birthday, old fart!"

More offensive actually. The English variant isn't polite, but it's still much softer than the Russian one.
    – Kaworu
    Oct 20, 2016 at 7:45

Don't! You will definitely spoil the celebration. Or at least remind that person of his age. Do you know the meaning of the last word? I bet you don't. Look it up in your dictionary.

We don't capitalize letters in С днём рождения!

• Why so aggressive? So many !!!!!
    – VCH250
    Feb 10, 2017 at 19:27
  • Being expressive is not aggressive (a poem, lol, btw.there's only one! )
    – V.V.
    Feb 10, 2017 at 19:37
    Actually using slang expressions is not encouraged for language learners. Imagine a person which hardly speaks English, but attempting to use slang words. Most of the time you'll wonder "maybe he used the wrong word to express something different?".
    – Artemix
    Feb 22, 2017 at 11:20

Depends on the person's sensitivity and sense of humour really. If in doubt, don't.

Anyway, you might find this useful: старый пердун has a Soviet-era slang form, старпёр (parodying the Communist knack for acronymising everything), which comes across as less risqué and which should be familiar enough to a person of that age.

Using your scale it's "bad". Definitely, it's not that "very bad", but still "bad" enough.

It really depends on the level of your relationship with the person in question. Quite acceptable actually between very close friends, in my circle at least.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.