I was told that I must say бы in BOTH parts of the sentence and that the placement of it makes no difference at all. Is the placement of бы critical?

Он бы тебе́ понра́вился как то́лько бы ты его́ уви́дел.

Он тебе́ бы понра́вился как то́лько ты бы его́ уви́дел.

Он тебе́ понра́вился бы как то́лько ты его́ бы уви́дел.

Он тебе́ понра́вился бы как то́лько ты его́ уви́дел бы.

• A possible duplicate of russian.stackexchange.com/questions/11008/…
    – V.V.
    Oct 9 '16 at 15:18
  • once again, please, don't use uppercase in such cases
    – shabunc
    Oct 10 '16 at 9:47
  • It wasn't a duplicate sentence but it was very close. My example which was in question was not the same and it was much more specific in terms of word order. I also prefer uppercase because it is easier to read for me whenever I make documents for others or ones for myself but I will obey the rules of the site per your request. Oct 10 '16 at 13:23

The neutral, unmarked, default form is

Он БЫ тебе́ понра́вился, как то́лько ты БЫ его́ уви́дел.

Also, I think you need a comma before как.

• Thank you very much. I was also recently told that "бы" has to be said/placed immediately before or immediately after "ты" or else the sentence will sound unnatural. Oct 10 '16 at 13:20
  • @Штефан in this sentence if you put it before ты, it follows только. So it can be confused with the idiom только бы.
    – Anixx
    Oct 10 '16 at 21:21

Сritical to style maybe, but not critical to meaning, i believe the placement is only dictated by considerations of smooth flow of the sentence and maybe convenience of the speaker, which obviously may vary between different people.

• One million "thank you's" to you! Oct 9 '16 at 14:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.