Sometimes I am not sure and a little confused when to use больше and when to use более, can somebody explain it to me? For example which sentence is grammatically right?:

Надо больше пить.

or

Надо более пить.

In some cases Больше/более are used interchangeably, but they have also different meanings.

A.Больше and более (bookish) used interchangeably:

1. больше /более (Excessing the quantity mentioned ),более is bookish.

Ждать больше /более часа. (to wait for more than an hour) Стоит больше/более трех рублей. (It costs more than three roubles)

2.Idioms: Больше всего/более всего(most of all)

Более всего ему сейчас следует опасаться простуды.

Больше того,/более того--moreover , a transition to a more important part of the sentence.

Ваша деятельность бесполезна; более того, она даже вредна.(Your activity is useless, moreover it's harmful. ) Умен, более того, талантлив(He is clever, and moreover, gifted.)

Больше чем/ более чем (more than, very, to a high extent )

. Более чем интересно.(It's more than interesting) Ваше поведение более чем возмутительно.

Не больше чем / не более чем(only)—

Это не более чем игра.

Ни больше ни меньше как / Не более и не менее, как (exactly )-

Речь идет не более и не менее, как о франко-германском соглашении. (exactly ) Опоздал ни больше ни меньше как на час

B.Больше .

1.Больше - далее,(not any more in the future)

Больше туда не ходи.(Don't go there any more) Больше не буду (promising not to do something bad any more) Больше нет вопросов?(Any questions? ) Более is archaic.

1. -the comparative from большой и много

Та комната больше.(That room is bigger) У него больше игрушек, чем у меня. (He has got more toys than me.) Надо тренироваться больше.(You should exercise more)

3.. -mostly, mainly

Шли больше лесом.

1. И больше ничего (and that's all)

Делай, что говорят, и больше ничего.

C.Более

1.forms the comparative degree from adjectives and adverbs

более подвижные, более спокойный, более важно

. 2.Idioms: Более или менее —(to some extent ) [неправильно более-менее].

Более или менее понятно.

Тем более (especially )— emphatic

Климат здесь вредный, тем более для ребёнка;

тем более (что).(moreover because )

Остаёмся дома, тем более собирается гроза.

всё более и более-(more and more) About something increasing or decreasing

Гул всё более и более утихал. Отношения становились всё более и более натянутыми. About your examples, Надо больше пить.--больше is the comparative from много(quantity )

этот стул больше - this chair is bigger - size or amount
этот стул более удобный - this chair is more comfortable - comparison

• Do you mean, size or amount is expressed in больше никогда? There's no comparison in он больше, чем ты? – Yellow Sky Oct 28 '16 at 1:38
  • I agree, I'm not a linguist, just common sense, "больше никогда" implicitly means no more times of some action, "больше чем ты" also sounds like amount, to compare persons it's more correctly to use exact adjectives e.g. старше/моложе, выше/ниже, толще/худее/более худой – bdimych Dec 4 '16 at 5:22

Often you just need to learn a specific cases of usage, there are some idioms, like @V.V. said. But generally you can remember that "более" is more emotional and dramatic form of "больше". So when you are unsure which word to use in a sentence: just imagine whether you can say the sentence in a calm, rational state of mind, if yes - use "больше", if no - use "более".

In your example "You need to drink more" can be said by a doctor, emotionally indifferent to your problems. So you need to say "Надо болЬШЕ пить".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.