As far as I can tell, the Russian equivalent of the English phrase "to add smb" with regards to social media accounts like Facebook, VKontakte, etc. is "добавлять/добавить в друзья." My question is: why is друзья in the nominative case? Why not в друзей? Is it because друзья isn't being used to mean "friends" in the animate sense of "intimate acquaintances," but instead has taken on a second meaning -- "friends list" -- which would be inanimate and thus not change its form in the accusative case?

It means "add someone/something to a generalized object". @добавить в друзей" means "add to an group". Oct 31, 2016 at 6:06
  • > Добавить в друзей = to add into inside of your friends I cannot imagine a non-sci-fi setting where this can be used.
    – Anixx
    Oct 31, 2016 at 17:25

2 Answers 2

You're on the right track, but the meaning is more abstract than "friends list"; it's more like the "state of being a friend" in general. Compare записать в члены общества, вывести в генералы, etc. It seems to be one of the "lesser cases" in Russian (like the partitive-genitive выпить чаю and the locative-prepositional в снегу). I might call it translative-accusative but that's just my own ad hoc term. It's been discussed here: What form is “в гости”?

I actually disagree with @NikolayErshov on this.

While we indeed have in Russian "small cases" for this particular example it's easier. It's actually because it's short for something like "добавить в [категорию] друзья". The same happens when you, say, adding files for some designated folder - when one says "добавить в "Избранное" - he/she actually intend to say "добавить в [папку] "Избранное".

• Why удалить из друзей, then? One would expect the implied category to be implied consistently. Nov 1, 2016 at 4:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.