What it says on the tin: how would you say "copycat" in Russian?

The verb "обезьянничать" (dictionary translation for "copycat") does not quite cut it - it implies making faces or being silly - while "copycat" is more neutral.

Обезьянничать is not as narrow as that; I'd say it's as versatile as the literal English equivalent, "to ape" — if also equally infrequently used. – Nikolay Ershov Nov 13 '16 at 18:08
  • I included "обезьянничать" because that's the dictionary translation. Edited my question to clarify. – RADA Nov 13 '16 at 18:28
  • Depending on situation подражать or передразнивать can be used. – Abakan Nov 13 '16 at 18:40
    It's all depends on the context. Can you add sentence by example? And I try to fnid alternative. – Riĥard Brugekĥaim Nov 14 '16 at 4:22
    "Повторюшка" is also a widely used word, especially among children. – SovereignSun Nov 15 '16 at 16:05

Basically a person who is a copycat is "подражатель" or "имитатор"
If it's related to subculture, person is "позёр"

When a was a child we called them: повторюшка, дядя хрюшка

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.