"HP" is something commonly found in sci-fi and fantasy role-playing games.

Can anyone give me a clue? Specifically I need the abbreviation equivalent if there is one, or else a very short word. If you give an acceptable synonym (e.g. "life" in English), please tell me what that word's closest equivalent is in English.

In this case it is "HP" of a human character, so something like "life" or "life force" may also work. But I'm sure there must be a standard term since there are many Russian gamers?

• Haha, do you want to play Pokemon in Russian? (For the record, I don't know the answer, I just like the question.) – Chill2Macht Dec 14 '16 at 18:01
    Очки здоровья, либо очки жизни (англ. health points, либо hit points; сокращённо HP) — величина в ролевых и компьютерных играх, определяющая максимальное количество урона, которое может получить объект. – V.V. Dec 14 '16 at 18:15
  • The shortest way to say that in Russian is "сила". – Yellow Sky Dec 14 '16 at 18:20
    "Сила" is not character's "life" but its damage power. @YellowSky – Abakan Dec 14 '16 at 18:49
    @ddbug "hit points/здоровье" - is meaning of health. Damage called - урон – Reishin Dec 27 '16 at 17:26

Usually it's "жизнь" or "здоровье". It's okay to say "у меня осталось всего 14 жизни" (I have only 14 HPs left) or "здоровья/жизни совсем мало осталось" (I'm short of HPs).

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you. Do you have an abbreviation like HP for this in Russian? Or is "жизнь" the shortest form? – Engineer Dec 14 '16 at 19:34
    @ArcaneEngineer no, but Russian gamers usually use "ХП" (as calque). For example: У меня осталось 100 хп (I have only 100 HPs). – Aer Dec 14 '16 at 21:21
  • @ArcaneEngineer If you need it for speaking, then "жизнь" is short enough (only one syllable, you cannot make it less). If you need it for writing on the srcreen, there are some possibilities of course to make it shorter. – Abakan Dec 15 '16 at 9:04
  • I'd add to comment by @DK. that "жизнь" is mostly used when talking about lives (like in Mario) and "здоровье" is used for HP (like in Diablo) – Alissa Dec 27 '16 at 14:18

"жизнь" is actually "life", like "cats have 9 lives", not "cats have 9 HP". If you have both Hit points and lives, using жизнь for both would be very confuisng. You can say "100% жизни" for 100% HP, if you only have HP. For russian gamers it is also very common to use english words but write them with russian letters: "хит поинтс" for "Hit points"

• It's okay, as I opted for здоровье=health. Maybe this answer will clarify for others. Cheers. – Engineer Dec 14 '16 at 21:36
  • That's not quite right. If one has 9 lives, it would mean that she can die 8 times and only ninth will be lethal (in other words, it can escape death 8 times). Having 9 HP indicates how many injuries you can stand before you die, it has nothing to do with escaping a close death. – Alissa Dec 27 '16 at 14:22

It depends on what are you playing. When we play LARP in Russian, we typically use the word хиты (sing. хит). When playing computer games, we transliterate HP as ХП (read as [хэпэ]). You may see expressions like полХП ("Half of the HP bar"), треть ХП etc. It is not uncommon to translate "HP" (Health Points) directly, as Очки здоровья, abbriviated as ОЗ.

If you use the "wrong" word, for example, say "У меня мало хитов осталось" while playing a computer game, or "Мало [хэпэ]" when playing LARP, you would seem... strange? :) ОЗI actually have never heard from any kind of gamers.

Keep in mind that some systems use different ways to measure damage, for example, Vampire: The Masquerade tabletop uses "health levels" that are pretty much the same for all humanoid characters. It would be wrong to translate that as either хиты, ОЗ or ХП: translate it directly as "Уровни здоровья", or, if you want, as "Уровни ранений" etc.

Using the word "life" (жизнь) isn't really common, since games that made you lose one of several lives for making a mistake are left in somewhere in the 80s, most games don't use such a concept. I would expect such an expression from a kid (because kids' language is a bit different from adult language, and is a bit stuck in time), or from a mom who is also stuck.

Awesome question, mate, thank you for it. If you need clarifications, ask in comments.

Часто так и называют - хиты. "Сколько у тебя хитов?"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.