I've asked a friend of mine, which is Russian, why they were saying on the news выдвигаться в президенты instead of выдвигаться в президентов, and he told me it is an exception, of an old case that he couldn't remember at the occasion.

Since then, I've tried to find everywhere what it could be, to no avail.

Would anyone please explain to me what rules are involved in that sentence and why does it make sense?

1 Answer 1

This is one of the so called lesser cases in Russian. This case has many names: второй винительный (second accusative), включительный (inclusive), превратительный (translative), собирательный. From rusgram.ru:

Второй винительный падеж (другие названия – включительный, превратительный, собирательный) встречается после предлога в при небольшом количестве глаголов, и его окончания совпадают с окончаниями именительного падежа множественного числа (другая трактовка – колебания в одушевлённости): [пойти, записаться, выбиться, готовиться, проситься, метить, принять, выбрать и т.д. в] солдаты, летчики, генералы, начальники. За этой формой признаются наименьшие права на статус особого падежа.

This is used after the preposition в when somebody receives or seeks some new post or rank: постричься в монахи, баллотироваться в президенты etc.

• So, you're saying it acts just like a regular accusative? Why would they use this one then, rather than the normal accusative? Dec 22, 2016 at 10:09
  • @ClaudioDeSouza I added some more explanation.
    – user31264
    Dec 22, 2016 at 10:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.