This is a comment I saw in a forum. Is it a typo, or does it actually mean something?

Что не день, то приключение!

It is a real sentence, but the poster incorrectly used "не" where they should have used "ни". The correct form of the sentence is:

Что ни день, то приключение!

which means:

Not a day passes without some adventure!

"Что ни день" means "every day" but is more literally translated as "any given day" or "any passing day".

• How interesting, Lila, thank you so much :) – CocoPop Dec 31 '16 at 12:57

Here's a good description of this structure—

enter image description here

• VCN250, that's a great explanation! Thank you. I'm curious, where did you find that? – CocoPop Jan 3 '17 at 14:29
  • It's from a grammar preparing students to the second level Russian Proficiency Test. Well, it's just a collection of grammar tips etc, but to be honest this little book solved a hell of a lot of problems for me—виды, краткие прилагательные и тд )) here's what the series is called—Learning and Training Tests in Russian as a Foreign Language. Volume 1. Grammar. Vocabulary.pdf – VCH250 Jan 3 '17 at 21:04
  • The grammar tips are in the back of this book. —And by the way))—translate.academic.ru/что%20ни%20то/ru/en – VCH250 Jan 3 '17 at 21:08
  • Thank you indeed, I'll see if I can find it. And thank you for the link! – CocoPop Jan 4 '17 at 2:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.