I am looking for a nickname/affectionate name for a character in a story that I am writing. I was considering basing it upon the word 'riddle' or 'puzzle' Are these the proper translations? Решето and загадка. Is there a diminutive form for each? I tried reading about how to choose the proper suffixes but my understanding of Russian is too limited to work it out.

• @V.V. Решето is listed as one of possible translations of word riddle: загадка; тайна; загадочный человек; решето; грохот; сито; щит; экран; трудная проблема
    – Artemix
    Jan 30 '17 at 21:16
  • Is the character male or female?
    – Quassnoi
    Jan 31 '17 at 8:03
  • To understand the meaning of russian noun, it is often useful to search it at google image.
    – user31264
    Jan 31 '17 at 15:20
    @Artemix It must be mentioned that riddle (загадка) and riddle (решето - и, возможно, не кухонное решето, cf. A large coarse sieve, especially one used for separating ashes from cinders or sand from gravel.- OLDonline) are homonyms. These two words are not related at all (except they are homonyms of course).
    – alexsms
    Dec 26 '18 at 11:04
  • Here is agricultural (or industrial) riddle en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riddle_(tool) , while решето in Russian is most likely a kitchen item (i.e. sieve).
    – alexsms
    Dec 26 '18 at 11:13

Решето is a household item - a sieve. Better synonyms are загадка, головоломка, ребус, шарада. Diminutives are загадочка, головоломочка, ребусик, шарадочка.

As for gender - only ребус is masculine noun, while загадка, шарада, головоломка are feminine nouns.

• Решето: cdn01.ru/files/users/images/4a/65/…
    – Artemix
    Jan 30 '17 at 20:30
    @Tamz That's great! Then mark this answer as "accepted" (it's a checkmark under the answer vote count).
    – Artemix
    Jan 31 '17 at 18:06
  • And out of these, Шарадочка is the only one that could make a credible nickname. Jan 31 '17 at 19:33
  • Thank you. Yes, I would want it to be credible. That is important to me. I try to take great care when choosing character names.
    – Tamz
    Jan 31 '17 at 20:59
    By the way, I had a colleague that had a nickname Барсук. I guess that nobody of his male colleagues in sound mind would call him "Барсучок" (however maybe this would sound ok, if he would be called that way by a woman he loves?). Another one was known as Кот, and I heard many times when he was called Котик by his women colleagues.
    – Artemix
    Feb 1 '17 at 11:22

To answer the question:

"Решетечко" - a word rarely used. Something that can be said to a 3 years old, or to deliberately create humor.

"Загадочка" - a more widely used word. Can be used in virtually all diminutive contexts.

As person's nicknames, both look unlikely, but not impossible.

also решетишко & загадонька Dec 26 '18 at 18:33
  • @Баян Купи-ка yes, right. But also quite rare.
    – Alexander
    Dec 26 '18 at 18:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.