There is a typical construction that I do not know specially when concerning about movements, in which we use the preposition y instead of the subject?

• Do you really mean русския as the second word?
    – KCd
    Mar 6 '17 at 5:47
  • There is no movement in your example.
    – Abakan
    Mar 6 '17 at 13:10
  • Sorry kcd o wrongly wrote i Will edit that thank you
    – Yassin Rk
    Mar 6 '17 at 20:01
  • "после русского языка я буду в лекцию химия" - this is totally wrong and ungrammatical, two errors in prepositions and two wrong cases. "I will into a lecture chemistry"
    – Anixx
    Mar 9 '17 at 10:51
  • Are you sure. Because the is not a construction of mine, I just saw it in my material and I really trust it, but if you explain I would pay attention
    – Yassin Rk
    Mar 15 '17 at 21:22

Russian prepositions can express either motion/tramsition, or state (both evidential and non-evidential).

The stumbling block is usually how to distinguish between a motion (or transition) and a state.

As prepositions, both на and в can be used to express either 'a translative/motional or 'an existential' state.

The difference is expressed by a case ending (and a case).

Locative (AKA 'Prepositional') is normally used with 'existential' state, while Accusative suggests motion or transition. Cf:

Я на химии (existential, Feminine Locative, non-evidential).

Я на химию (motion, Feminine Accusative, non-evidential).

Suppose there is a room called 'химия' between pals of a chemistry lab. A guy willing to express his literal acts or states would use phrases like:

Я в "химию" (motion, Feminine Accusative, evidential)

Я в "химии" (existential, Feminine Locative, evidential)

In Russian, a possessive structure (e.g. phrases like 'I have', 'I own', etc.) is always a structure of state. Hence, it is possible to say

После русского языка я (буду) на лекции / на химии

После русского языка у меня будет химия

После русского языка я - на химию

but not * После русского языка я буду в лекцию химия.

The phrase у меня есть means possession = я имею (I have). Your sentence contains this phrase in the future tense у меня будет (I will have, I am having). The sentence should be:

После русского языка у меня будет химия (лекция по химии).

You can use another verb to describe your action.

После (урока) русского языка я пойду на лекцию по химии.

("Я буду на лекции" is understandable too, but sounds a bit clumsy.)

• "я буду на лекции" only seems valid in a context like "с двух то трех я буду на лекции, не звони мне в это время", or something like that
    – Alissa
    Mar 6 '17 at 17:38

The following article explains your subject rather well:

http://masterrussian.com/aa120199a.shtml

Your example, in particular, has a direct English analogy: I have Chemistry after Russian sounds quite regular.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.