Everything is in the title, sorry if I misspelled it.

Why do Russian speakers call Vladimir Putin "Vladimir Vladimirovich" ?

A full Russian name consists of:

• First name

• Patronymic (derived from father's first name)

• Last name, also known as family name.

Russian president's full name is: Vladimir (first name) Vladimirovich (patronymic) Putin (last name).

The following combinations of names are used in a formal environment:

1. First Patronymic Last - Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin - very formal

2. First Patronymic - Vladimir Vladimirovich - moderately formal

3. First Last - Vladimir Putin - moderately formal, the same level of formality as #2.

More information on the order of Russian names is available here: What order are the parts of a full Russian name in?

I disagree, #2 and #3 are not interchangeable. #2 is used to address the person, #3 is use way rarely for that purposes. – shabunc Mar 16 '17 at 13:52
  • I agree that #3 is not a proper way to address someone formally. But it's an acceptable form to refer to someone formally. For example: "...сообщил «Известиям» участник работы над докладом член-корреспондент РАН Иван Иванов..." The answer does not state that all 3 forms can be used to address someone. – Vitaly Mar 16 '17 at 13:59
  • Journalists address to Putin: “Владимир Владимирович, бла-бла-бла ?” And, I think, it is the most popular way. Informal, you can address or refer to everyone whatever you like. If you create political meme about Вован or Donald, no-one will think about the pranker or the Duck. How journalists address to Trump by name? – yalov Mar 31 '17 at 18:15

Well, in Russia, your second name is your father's full name+vich/ovich For example, my name is Mikhail and my dad's name is vladimir (coincidentally). So, my full name is Mikhail Vladimirovich+family name. For females, the second name will have vna/ovna instead of vich/ovich. Hope this helps)

It's called "patronymic", not "second name". Come on, comments is full of it already. – Oleg V. Volkov Apr 7 '17 at 10:38

Russian names have a first name "imya" (Vladimir), second name "otchestvo" (Vladimirovich (the name of father)) and third name "familiya" (Putin).

• It's called "patronymic", not "second name". Come on, comments is full of it already. – Oleg V. Volkov Apr 7 '17 at 10:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.