I am working on an art project that I would like to collect the hundreds of different transliterations of 「中文」 zhōng wén in Mandarin Chinese. (Pronunciation available here: https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/de/中文)

How can I transliterate zhōng wén in Russian? (For example, "zhong wen" would be the closest pronunciation in English.)

thank you

Palladius' system would have it as чжунвэнь.
    – Quassnoi
    Mar 30, 2017 at 17:27

1 Answer 1

Since the end of the 19th century, the traditional transliteration system of rendering Chinese words in the Russian Cyrillic alphabet is the so-called Palladius system named after Pyotr Ivanovich Kafarov (Пётр Ива́нович Кафа́ров), a Russian sinologist and monk who spent thirty years in China and was also known by his monastic name Palladius (Паллáдий). Actually, every Chinese syllable possible has a corresponding Palladius system equivalent, that Wikipedia article has the chart of the Pinyin ­– Cyrillic Palladius correspondences.

But there is an easier way to do the transliteration, there in an online converter, you enter either the Chinese characters or Pinyin there, press the "Convert" (Перевести) button, and you get it in Cyrillic Palladius. As for your word,「中文」zhōng wén, it is чжунвэнь.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.