I know that there's not a very simple way to pronounce decimals in Russian. Literally it would translate as "X entire ones, X tenths/hundredths/etc.", where X is feminine.

As such, 0.1 becomes ноль целых, одна десятая. 0.01 becomes ноль целых, одна сотая. If I'm not mistaken that is.

But, what if I wanted to pronounce, colloquially, a number like 0.333333333333(...), that's to say, a number with an infinite amount of decimal places?

In this situation, could I tell the numerals components individually? Like "ноль точка три три три три (...)"?

You'd say ноль целых, три в периоде – Quassnoi Apr 3 '17 at 12:29

I don't think there's any set rule, but as a native speaker I can advise the following options. First you have to know that in Russian the decimal separator is comma , (pronounced запятая, colloquially и), not period .:

0,333... – ноль и три, три, три [и так далее]...

0,333... – ноль, запятая, три, три, три [и так далее]...

More scientific way:

0,333... = 0,(3) – ноль целых и три в периоде

0,133... = 0,1(3) – ноль, запятая, один и три в периоде

• The answers on the page russian.stackexchange.com/questions/1501/decimal-declension say decimal digits are usually pronounced in groups of two or three at a time, but 0,33333333... would not be ноль и тридцать три тридцать три и так далее? – KCd Apr 3 '17 at 13:33
    Well, this variant is acceptable, I think. As I said, there is no set rules regarding this. – ttaaoossuuuu Apr 3 '17 at 14:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.