What is the difference between prefixes об and по. For example облизать and полизать.

Roughly said, об- means '[centered] around' and по- means 'along [and then to somewhere else]'. The difference is also in cases for adverbial complement - not always but quite often, e. g.

Дети облазили чердак. = The kids have investigated all the loft through.

Я обдумаю это. = I'll think about this.

Она обделала порог. = She shat around [all] the threshold.

Дети полазали на чердаке. = The kids has been investigating the loft [for a while].

Я подумаю об этом. = I'll think about this [and then I'll shift to some other topic].

Он поделал порог. = He's been making a threshold [for a while and then he switched to some other activity].

Sometimes the difference is that об- refers to a non-literal meaning, while по- indicates the action as it is, thus making the meaning entirely different, e. g.

Я обрёл смысл. = I've found [the supreme] meaning [of/in smth]. NB: the об- is regarded by some researchers as a part of the stem, but the stem actually is a historical cognate of Lithuanian ràsti and surė̃sti (acc. to Fasmer).

Я побрёл своим путём. = I wended my way along.

Дым обволок кострище. = The smoke coated the fireplace.

Волк поволок ягнёнка в тёмный лес. = A wolf was taking a lamb into a dark forest.

Дела обстоят хорошо. = The things / the circumstances are OK.

Они постоят и пойдут. = They'll stand there for a while and then they'll part.

Hence, the difference between облизать and полизать will be as follows:

Котёнок облизал сметану. = The kitten has licked [all the] sour creme [around].

Котёнок полизал сметану. = The kitten has licked some sour creme [for a while and then switched to some other activity].

• В слове "обрести" приставки нет.
    – V.V.
    Apr 14 '17 at 14:53
  • Не установлено.
    – Manjusri
    Apr 14 '17 at 16:57
  • В таком случае можно дать однокоренные слова? Дайте хоть одно.
    – V.V.
    Apr 14 '17 at 21:57
  • Pls see the post above after the mark NB regarding the Lithuanian cognates.
    – Manjusri
    Apr 14 '17 at 22:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.