Вчера я отдал свою швейную машинку. Предупредил женщину, которой я ее дал, что она очень тяжела. Она ответила, что «Своя ноша не тяжела». Как это понимать? Она объяснила эту пословицу, но я её не понял.

Yesterday I gave my sewing machine away. I warned the lady I gave it to that it was heavy. She answered, "Своя ноша не тяжела". How to understand that phrase? She tried to explain it to me but I didn't understand.

• By the way, in the sentence Она ответила, что »Своя ноша не тяжела« you did two mistakes. First, quotes are used in Russian in the opposite way: «Своя ноша не тяжела» (you exchanged opening and closing quotes). Second, своя should start with lowercase letter. In Russian, capital letters are used more frugally. "Я" should also be lowercase (unless it is the first word in a sentence). If a native Russian speaker writes "Я" in capital, he or she may be viewed as a pompous ass. – user31264 Apr 15 '17 at 18:26
    Do you think you don't make mistakes? Just edit the question. – V.V. Apr 15 '17 at 19:11
    Excellent. If that's the only problem you found with my Russian, then it is better than I thought! – OmarL Apr 16 '17 at 7:29
  • Thanks to @DK for correcting grammatical mistakes; but why did you change машину to машинку? – OmarL Nov 28 '18 at 15:28

Своя ноша не тяжела или Своя ноша не тянет.

This is a proverb that means "What is done for yourself is not hard". Even if it is really a hard job. Just to add the English equivalent

"A burden of one's own choice is not felt".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.