I am wondering if there is a Russian equivalent of the English idiom "A fool and his money are soon parted".

"Дурак платит дважды"? It's not exactly same, but I guess it's close...
    – Alissa
    Apr 19 '17 at 17:21
    1. Без ума торговать – только деньги терять (Trading out of mind is only losing money). 2. На деньги ума не купишь. (One can't buy brains for money). 3. У дурака в горсти дыра. (A fool has a hole in his handful).
    – Yellow Sky
    Apr 19 '17 at 17:39
    @Alissa "Скупой платит дважды", not "дурак".
    – Dmitriy
    Apr 19 '17 at 20:57
  • Damn. Sorry. It mixed up in my head, as I've heard a longer version: "Скупой платит дважды, а дурак трижды"
    – Alissa
    Apr 20 '17 at 12:42

In numerous Russian books this English idiom (its sense: "Дурак легко расстаётся с деньгами") is compared with the Russian proverb: "У дурака в горсти дыра". An example of such a book: Пословицы и поговорки - английские, немецкие, французские с русским переводом (Энтраст Трейдинг, Москва 2015).

The page: https://books.google.ru/books/content?id=A7nYCQAAQBAJ&hl=ru&pg=PA11&img=1&zoom=3&ots=mRzKWAIIUY&sig=ACfU3U28TmxXWPOptmFAuwRawvK62wHw0g&w=1280

Here is a list of proverbs meaning roughly 'it is not worth being a fool'. I'd vote for the last one as the closest Russian equivalent of the English idiom you have mentioned - though the first one might match some meaning of the phrase as well.

Дурак деньги напоказ носит.

Дураки о добыче спорят, а умные разделили ее.

Дурень и дом сожжет, так огню рад.

Дурак дом построил, а умница купил.

Дурак торгует, когда базар кончится.

Дураки да нищие не родом ведутся, а кому Б-г даст. (though here 'дурак' means rather 'mad' than 'a fool'.

Дураку все копейка.

Last, but not least, you can also use the not-so-delicate and less classical, but nontheless explicit Недолго музыка играла (sometimes followed by недолго фраер танцевал). This phrase can be used in a broader conext.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.