In English we have to use a capital letter in the following cases:

• Beginning of sentence
  • Names (people or places)
  • Pronoun first-person singular (I)

What are the rules for capital letters in Russian language comparing to these three rules in English?

Basically, capital letter is required in the beginning of a sentence and in names (people, places, books, etc.).

There is a tricky case with singular "вы", which can be capitalized to show respect (note that plural "вы" is capitalized only in the beginning of a sentence).

Also with multi-word names (e.g. name of a book), only first letter is capitalized, not first letter of each word as in English.

Another difference with English will be that not everything that considered to be a name in English is considered to be a name in Russian. For example, names of languages and nations and are not capitalized in Russian. I think it might have to do something with most of those being adjectives in Russian (though it's just an opinion).

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you. What about the pronoun я, is it not supposed to be capitalized as happens to be in English with the pronoun I? – Influx Apr 25 '17 at 12:15
    no, "я" is only capitalized in the beginning if a sentence and if it's first word of some title, e.g. "Я и мои котики" – Alissa Apr 25 '17 at 14:28

Personal pronoun I is never capitalised (unless positioned at the beginning of a sentence):

Я изучаю китайский язык, и чем больше я его изучаю, тем больше у меня вопросов.

Names of countries are capitalised, but not names of nations and/or languages (it used to be so a couple of centuries ago, but not nowadays). Forms of address and titles are not capitalised, either.

Из всех языков, пани и панство, мадам, мадмуазели, месье, леди, джентльмены, дамы, господа и товарищи, мне наименее симпатичны английский и русский, а из всех известных мне людей наименее вежливы в обиходе - носители советского русского.

Days of weeks and months are not capitalised:

Сегодня - вторник, двадцать пятое апреля.

Abstract nouns (mainly those capitalised in modern English to imitate archaic style and/or to express 'philosophical uniqueness' of the concept they are referring to, or those normally capitalised in 'capitalisation boom' of the 17th-18th centuries following Hart's recommendation are not capitalised, either):

Относительная истина не противоречит абсолютной истине.

As for words for G-d, deities and religious holidays / events, their capitalisation is guarded either by the rules applied for personal names or by a writer's personal beliefs.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.